Is there a bike to support my weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ribean

Regular
Please don't think im being ignorant, i struggle to read through large chunks of text etc so thought id ask, myself.

I want a bike that i can ride on cycle track/paths/roads. I've lost over astone and im now around 22st5lbs. I'm actively dieting and exercising but id love a bike to go out on with my partner but i have no idea where to start etc. I can't afford mega bucks my bro in law works at Halfords so could prob get a discount but any advice/links/bike names would be greatly appreciated.

I think i kind of gather bigger tires are better? I'm naturally stocky and 6ft.

Thank you in advance!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Your weight is not a problem for a bike.

Halford's Carrera.

Decent budget bike, even better with some discount.

AndyRM

XOXO
I've seen bigger lads than you on bikes.

Wheels would be the only real area of concern, but the budget offerings from on Carreras are pretty solid in my experience. I'd suggest starting out with a hybrid, the Subways are very good. For the type of riding you suggest don't bother getting suspension, it will be heavy and crap.

The Boardman range is also very well regarded but would set you back a little more.

... Carreras are pretty solid in my experience. I'd suggest starting out with a hybrid, the Subways are very good. For the type of riding you suggest don't bother getting suspension, it will be heavy and crap.
I agree totally, £250 will get you a lovely carrera Subway, disc, a little cheaper for Vee brake, and I think they're brilliant, only had mine for a couple of days, but can't wait to get on it n the mornings - it's a light bike, but I'm sure it would be fine for you.
Tandems often have 48 spoke wheels, but we rode on 36 spoke wheels, and did some longish rides - 30-50 miles, weighing (together) 26 stone ( I know!!), so don't worry about your weight!

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
There's a couple of Carreras in my pile of bikes, one of them I've had for years and use as a pub/supermarket bike which just won't die (so I have no excuse for n+1....grrr). As above, BC membership will give you 10% off combined with quidco will knock the price down a fair bit....

AndyRM

XOXO
Thanks guys :biggrin: so the carera subway as it is would be ok? I wouldn't have to change wheels etc? I'd get 25% haha :biggrin:

Yep, you'd be fine.

genesis-caribou-2015-fat-bike.jpg

Not this one, the Subway should be fine!

OP
OP
Ribean

Ribean

Regular
I read through his blog but as i said massive chunks that i have to take in etc really confuses me.

I'm going to aim for thr carrera then. Got mot weds thats gna cost me a few hundred the bike is my next goal!

Jus scared ill sit on it and the wheels will go flat.

Also, any others? :smile: just so i can have abit of variety. Really appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom