Is there a electrician in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Sounding fishy.

Batter than it smelling fishy

CXRAndy

Guru
It's clear the OP has no practical knowledge of electrical circuits, testing or the basic equipment to do fault finding.

Pay an electrician to sort it out.

Even I know when to call in the professionals. I'm very competent with electric/electronics being my trade for 20years. I wanted to swapped out old MCB breakers for RCBOs . I told the wife it would be several hours work, due to awkward consumer unit location. She was having none of it. So I decided to pass the work to our electrician -who eventually came to do the job several months later. It took him 4 hours to change over to RCBOs.

Nice job he did too. It narrowed down a rare intermittent tripping we had for over a year. Dishwasher dripping water onto its mains input connection.

Also having a newly upgraded consumer unit helped swing a house sale. The new buyer pleased we had upgraded and had a new building regulations certificate.

Call a sparky

When you’ve put it all back together… have you put the ring wiring back in the correct terminals and/or are any of the exposed cables touching? Something like this could be causing the issues.

If you flick another switch in the loop does the light come on?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Taking as read that I should get someone in who knows what the hell they're doing and stop being a bloody idiot, I find myself proper baffled, and wondered if the CC posse might have thoughts on the matter.

To whit:

I took the light fitting down from the hall when we were having the place replastered, and now I've put it back it doesn't work. And - and here's the funny bit - nor does anything else.

I know how the light fitting connects - I put it up in the first place - but took the precaution of taking a photo before removing it:

View attachment 662069

When I'd finished everything else in the hall I just put it back as it had been, and switched on, and... nothing. Subsequent ponderings and fiddlings have brought me to what seems a very weird situation, which is that if I test the contacts the brown and blue wires would be using - the extreme outside ones - using an electrical screwdriver, the wee neon lights up orange for both. But if you connect the lamp fitting - or any other electrical device - to those contacts, it doesn't work. I've tested it using my desk lamp, which works perfectly. Nope.

How can this be? And what should I try next (apart from the obvious)?

It occurs to me it might be worth a mention that tho' the neon light does come on, without question, it's not exactly burning bright...mean anything?

Thanks for any feedback. Feel free to go for the obvious. Fill yer boots. Don't thank me, it's what I do. :smile:

I’d check your neutral is connected up ? To me it could be just that a dodgy neutral ? If that’s dissed your lights won’t work.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Oh ye of little faith...

1664450684787.png

Thanks everyone - very helpful input throughout...I really appreciate your time and effort.

FWIW, in case anyone's interested, it turned out to be a bit of dodgy wire at the point where the leads were emerging from the cable sheath/insulation, with the earth (exposed) & live a bit too close for comfort. A small screwdriver gently pushed in at that point and wiggled to make a proper separation between the two leads and bingo - all is well. And yes, the living room light is working too. It's all good. :becool:

Another triumph for the CC posse! Woop woop! :okay:

newts

Veteran
I think you need to get that checked properly for complete live, neutral & earth continuity. Live touching earth should have tripped the rcd? Loose connections are a fire hazard.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think you need to get that checked properly for complete live, neutral & earth continuity. Live touching earth should have tripped the rcd? Loose connections are a fire hazard.
It was showing as having failed. The black mark, when all the rest were red.

newts

Veteran
It was showing as having failed. The black mark, when all the rest were red.

The rcd is in addition to the mcb, there's 2 rcd's on the op's consumer unit. Anything touching the earth should trip the rcd.

Top Bottom