Is there a free android phone app that will do basic navigation using previously created gpx/fit file?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
When navigating on foot or bicycle I use a Garmin but Mrs Skol is getting more adventurous and wants to be able to follow routes I prepare for her when she is on her own.

She doesn't like the Garmin and doesn't want to be bothered with its 'quirks' or the faff of loading routes to it.

All she wants is a phone app (android) that she can use to follow a gpx. or fit. file I send her (either the file or a link to the route on RWGPS).

What are her (free) options? It needs to be simple because she won't invest much time to engage with something 'techy' in the same way you or me might.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Osmand will do that for free, though it's not exactly that simple…

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Can you not just use the RWGPS app on her android phone? I have the app on my android phone and make a point of downloading the route so I have it available offline as well. This then becomes my back up in case my Garmin throws a fit on me. You can get it to give turn by turn instructions of a route as well.

I do have a premium subscription though so I'm not sure if I'm getting features that the free version doesn't.

Edit: Just found the pricing structure for RWGPS and sadly turn by turn and offline maps are not available on the free plan, though they are available on the Basic Plan. Sorry my post probably isn't much use then.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You could also buy her a Wahoo Bolt. They are cheap now after the Wahoo Roam was released. They come up on FB market place regularly.

You can plot a route and download it to the Wahoo and it get stored on there. She will not need a phone to open and follow the route.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
+1 for the RWGPS app.

It doesn't 100 % fit the brief as the it won't use just any ramdom GPX file, but if that file is uploaded to RWGPs it's perfect.

But like @chriswoody I'm a premium RWGPS subscriber. It is possible that my experience of the app (which I think is great) is in part due to premium features.

Last edited:
Clever son has come to the rescue. He has a Suunto watch and account and this will do it all. He's just explaining it to her......

Son's Suunto is the answer?

I know nothing of the Suunto but given a lack of knowledge and enthusiasm to learn, one thing to bear in mind is that some navigation apps "adapt" or "modify" an imported route to better suit their maps (as I understand it). I think this may particularly apply to routes with lots of added waypoints.

I know, for example, that RWGPS can display different versions of the same route depending on the map style chosen. I suspect that Komoot adjusts routes on importation, I know that Cycle.Travel does it. If you have the time and want to be 100% sure no harm to follow the routes yourself using the Suunto first.

For anyone starting out with electronic navigation I'd urge them to bring their common sense along with them because there is no guarantee that every route will be 100% perfect. It may be worth your while running through a few scenarios where an unplanned diversion is dealt with for fear that a relatively commonplace event (a diversion) could put a dent in confidence and enthusiasm for cycling.

Electronic navigation can be a fantastic advantage and incentive for getting out and exploring if used as a tool. It can be counter-productive if treated as an "essential" that has to be followed at all times and places.

Best of luck to Mrs. Skol

Top Bottom