Annual Big Ride Update - 10 years and 100 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
For those that are eagerly awaiting the latest update (anyone? ANYONE????), just come back from our holiday, and the little lad managed it.

We have been talking all year about his latest challenge. After the metric century last year, there really has been only one place to go, and with his new bike being even easier to ride, and the average speeds creeping up to something sensible for such a distance, the idea became a target, and the target became a plan.

He had 4 x 100km rides already under his belt this year. One just a whisker short (<1 mile) ride for cake, one Audax (Warwickshire Wanderer) and two 100k rides back-to-back as he joined older members of his club in a ride to Ilam Hall in Derbyshire and back again. These had really boosted his confidence, as he saw how well he could climb hills compared to some reasonably keen adults, and how much easier it was to ride in a larger group, with more people to distract you from the distance and time.

Holiday location was Somerset, chosen on a basis of distance from home (not too far due to Mum's health), and also the Somerset flats, offering some quiet and hill-less cycling, but with the Mendips and Chilterns offering some more interesting lumpy stuff on their edges. First ride of the holiday was 50 miles (warm up and to get me into the holiday spirit), then a 75 mile ride including a brutal couple of hills in the Quantocks (which BrumMatt managed better than I did), and then a trip to the edge of the solar system and back again (more about that later). And then the big one.
(More to follow. Time for Church)

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Sorry - distracted and sleeping.

We had our usual mishap. The solar system ride was along the Bridwater and Taunton canal, but along towpaths more suited to gravel bikes (or mountain bikes - actually more suited to walking) our road bikes were a bit of a handful. First tumble for me was OK, as it was on to grass. Second tumble involved the front wheel coming off the edge and into a hole, and me finding myself with a bike on top of me before I knew what had happened. When I had managed to escape, I realised that the front wheel was OK, and although in pain, I could move. Back wheel had a slight wobble (release the rear brakes and they stopped rubbing), and blood was running from a hole in my elbow down to my wrists.

Which delayed the big ride for a day, as I sourced a new rear wheel (spokes siezed in the nipples, so no chance of pulling the buckle out). Which was anoying, as there is a brand new rear wheel in my garage waiting to be fitted. But why would you bring a spare wheel on holiday with you?

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

IMG_20230819_104652_986.jpg

Model of the sun with the real version behind.

IMG_20230819_104423_873.jpg

Mercury, made from steel.

IMG_20230819_104257_587.jpg

IMG_20230819_104132_007.jpg

Home. Isn't it small?

IMG_20230819_103943_474.jpg

IMG_20230819_103424_082.jpg

Gas giant shown in stone. Isn't it big?

IMG_20230819_110540_141.jpg

IMG_20230819_111445_604.jpg

The planets in order for you. Missing Neptune. Not-a-planet Pluto was there, but we missed it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Didn't finish this off, did I!

Anyway, practice rides out of the way, and The Big One planned. Rearranged from Monday to the second Tuesday of the holiday due to too much wind, route set, and by 09:00 we were heading off.

Two stops later and we were in Ilminster, in a little café in the middle of town. Everything going fine, and legs feeling good, so we are starting to feel confident that we could make it. Well, he is feeling confident. My legs are starting to ache a bit, and I know that the next 50 miles are going to be a challenge. But I know I can make it.

First hiccup comes at the third stop, as the planned café in Langport is closed, but there is an even better one just over the bridge, and we sit, eat cake, and chat to another cyclist who is over 80. years, not miles. The hills are all out of the way and it is a relatively flat run home. He's confident, as his legs feel good. I'm confident, as I've done longer whilst feeling worse, but it isn't going to be easy.

Fourth stop is the fish and chip shop in Bridgwater. First choice again, closed, but second choice is just around the corner. Got a big thumbs-up in Bridgwater from a driver for the speed that my little 10-yr-old can manage through the traffic. Little did she know that there were 90 odd miles in those legs by the time we had got there, which would have amazed her even more.

Hot bag of fish and chips on my back, and we were heading the final 6 miles home. Just before we reached the edge of the village we passed the 100 mile mark, and 1.5 miles later we were back home, tired, but very happy indeed.

Yes, this was my first 100 mile ride of the year, as well as Little BrumJim's first ever. It was 2012 and I was 41 when I did my first 100 mile ride (Birmingham to London with some of you lot), and only really a year earlier that I discovered it was possible for someone like me.

IMG_20230822_094943_427.jpg

Prescriptive, heh?

IMG_20230822_135246_833.jpg
Lunch
FB_IMG_1692734906741.jpg

Third stop.
IMG_20230822_173151_154.jpg

Almost home. Cows taking an interest. One slobbered all over his saddle!
IMG_20230822_185219_068.jpg

End result!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

How did he do? Well, better than me, although my excuse was that sometimes I took the wind for him, but he wasn't able to return the favour. Humbling, when I thought that he would be at least 16 before he was faster and stronger. Only positive thing is that from September he will be able to ride home from school on his own, so I can get more rides to the office in, and improve my fitness too.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

No more riding after that, and the bikes came home and went into the garage. When I next went to look at them, his back wheel was flat, due to a large thorn going through the wheel. Not too sure where that happened. Don't think it was between the car and the garage (could have been), but might have been on the big ride, so very fortunate to get back without an inner tube change.

Top Bottom