Is there a necessity for a bicycle helmet which provides a better range and quality of protection ?

Do you feel that there is a necessity for this project and the development of a new helmet?

• Yes

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 91.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Link ? pictures ?

https://www.velodrome.shop/casco-helmets/casco-warp-sprint-carbon-2018/

It’s the design I’ve been using for many years, on the road, and on the track.

I’m on about my third one now.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If the helmet “shattered” it failed to do anything to mitigate the accident. It’s a bit like when your wheels lock up under braking. You’ve gone past the limit where the brakes are actually slowing you, and they are no longer contributing anything. If the helmet shatters, from the point it does so, it’s not doing anything, anymore. Helmets are only effective, in a crash, if they deform, but don’t disintegrate. That’s a point which is often not understood by people. So developing lids that can take increasing battering, without failure, would be a worthwhile exercise.
Like some sort of silicone rubber/silly putty type material instead of polystyrene? They could call it the jellmet! :rolleyes:

Tom B

Guru
If the helmet “shattered” it failed to do anything to mitigate the accident. It’s a bit like when your wheels lock up under braking. You’ve gone past the limit where the brakes are actually slowing you, and they are no longer contributing anything. If the helmet shatters, from the point it does so, it’s not doing anything, anymore. Helmets are only effective, in a crash, if they deform, but don’t disintegrate. That’s a point which is often not understood by people. So developing lids that can take increasing battering, without failure, would be a worthwhile exercise.

I agree that "shattering" may not be desirable reaction to a crash but if no crash energy was absorbed by the shattering of the helmet where did the energy come from to shatter it?

12boy

Guru
I'd have to disagree about a shattered helmet doing nothing. I am pretty sure if the impact that trashed the helmet had not been reduced, my concussion would have been worse and my skin would have been abraded if not torn by the asphalt I landed on. For thirty years I was helmetless because I thought they would be uncomfortable. Now I like them, cooler in the summer, and with a balaclava or a stocking cap, warmer in the winter. The only real problem I've encountered has been when a yellowjacket flew in a vent, and then, due to fear or anger, started stinging my bald head. Of course, at time I was going fairly fast and it took a while to stop and get the helmet off.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd have to disagree about a shattered helmet doing nothing. I am pretty sure if the impact that trashed the helmet had not been reduced, my concussion would have been worse and my skin would have been abraded if not torn by the asphalt I landed on. For thirty years I was helmetless because I thought they would be uncomfortable. Now I like them, cooler in the summer, and with a balaclava or a stocking cap, warmer in the winter. The only real problem I've encountered has been when a yellowjacket flew in a vent, and then, due to fear or anger, started stinging my bald head. Of course, at time I was going fairly fast and it took a while to stop and get the helmet off.
I understand how it would have stopped your skin from cutting but very much doubt it reduced the concussion.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Anything that can add weight to the proof some people seem to need, that cycle helmets save lives, is always welcome. Darwinism takes too long.
I think it would be better to actually look to see IF helmets save lives, rather than narrowing down your search only looking at evidence they definitely do. I think you know which thread you should be posting in.

12boy

Guru
Not only if they work, but which types work. Also, if they all have to meet standards, are expensive ones better than inexpensive helmets. For example, there are the thin skin overf foam helmets with lots of cutouts for ventilation, and then there are hard shell helmets with only a few holes on top for air, such as Nutcase helmets. I would like to know for sure what the facts are instead of anecdotal information.

Top Bottom