is there a plumber in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
looking for some help as every radiator in the house is working with the exception of the one in my bedroom :laugh:

i have tried bleeding it, turning it on etc but still nothing- all i have achieved is making it lukewarm...

any suggestions most welcome :smile:

ilovebikes said:
looking for some help as every radiator in the house is working with the exception of the one in my bedroom :eek:

i have tried bleeding it, turning it on etc but still nothing- all i have achieved is making it lukewarm...

any suggestions most welcome :stop:

The TRV (thermostatic radiator valve) is probably stuck. In the interim, take the stat off the top of it and see if you can free up the valve pin sticking out of it as this should open it

TVC

How long is it since you flushed the system? It might be sludging up, particularly if it is warmer at the top than the bottom.

I have a similar problem at the moment and have discovered that my system does not have a drain valve, so I'm going to have to empty it through a radiator.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
new boiler went in in the spring, so i guess it was flushed then, and i know it was flushed last year as well...

ahh yes the TRV (didn't know what to call that) i have freed it up and that resulted in lukewarmness

The Velvet Curtain said:
How long is it since you flushed the system? It might be sludging up, particularly if it is warmer at the top than the bottom.

I have a similar problem at the moment and have discovered that my system does not have a drain valve, so I'm going to have to empty it through a radiator.

This is unlikely to be the case in an upstairs rad as the sludge is so heavy, but microbore pipe can get pinched whist being routed if it has been used.

highpeak will

It could be that one of the valves has stuck, sometimes old thermostatic valves do that. In which case it will probably need changing.
It could be a blockage. This sometimes happens if your system is microbore pipes and the water is 'sludged' up. One thing you could try is to turn all the other radiators in the house off, by shutting off one of the valves on each, but leave the heating and the bedroom radiator on.
This can sometimes force the water round the system into the only radiator that is turned on i.e. your bedroom radiator, and can force any sludge or blockage out. If it works and your radiator heats up then turn the rest of the rads on one at a time. Other than that your system may need 'balancing' which is usually a job for a plumber.

ilovebikes said:
new boiler went in in the spring, so i guess it was flushed then, and i know it was flushed last year as well...

ahh yes the TRV (didn't know what to call that) i have freed it up and that resulted in lukewarmness

Is it lukewarm up the entire height of it or does it go cold half way up (has it been bled) ?

highpeak will said:
It could be that one of the valves has stuck, sometimes old thermostatic valves do that. In which case it will probably need changing.
It could be a blockage. This sometimes happens if your system is microbore pipes and the water is 'sludged' up. One thing you could try is to turn all the other radiators in the house off, by shutting off one of the valves on each, but leave the heating and the bedroom radiator on.
This can sometimes force the water round the system into the only radiator that is turned on i.e. your bedroom radiator, and can force any sludge or blockage out. If it works and your radiator heats up then turn the rest of the rads on one at a time. Other than that your system may need 'balancing' which is usually a job for a plumber.

Makes a lot of sense :eek:

Top Bottom