Is there a proper geeky hi-fi dweeb in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A friend once decided that he preferred to run his expensive new hifi speakers without the grills on. 10 minutes later his 4 year old sister taught him why that was not a great idea! :whistle:
Soft dome Tweeters are a favourite target. :cry:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
An update, such as it is, for them as wants it. So far so good. ^_^ Which is to say, since swapping the speakers I've had no buzzing a tall a tall. Doesn't mean it's fixed. Could be I just haven't run into the particular frequencies that cause resonance yet.

I did idly wonder whether it might be partly about bass tending to come over the left channel, so the 'buzzy' speaker, though genuinely flawed (vulnerable to a combination of bass & certain 'resonating' frequencies) can be safely used on the right channel, where its shortcomings will not be exposed. Don't know. If it stays stopped, that works for me. :okay:

But like I say, so far so good.
<fingers x'd emoji>

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Are you sure that the cables were securely attached to the speakers before you swapped them round? If something was a bit loose before, you might just have tightened the connectors properly now? :whistle:
No, the leads were always good. I don't think loose connections could be responsible in any case - when I say there's a 'buzz', it's nothing electronic... definitely a physical thing, like the sound is making something rattle against something else. Anyway, thanks for the thought but no, not loose leads, for sure.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
i had a similar problem in my 1970's built chevette I was driving around in the late 80's, turned out to be an opal fruit wrapper in the back of speaker, which just sat in the glove "tray". I suspect this isn't your issue, but it could be a bit of fluff or a dead insect or something against the speaker.

can you carefully use a vacuum cleaner tube to coax anything out of it?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
i had a similar problem in my 1970's built chevette I was driving around in the late 80's, turned out to be an opal fruit wrapper in the back of speaker, which just sat in the glove "tray". I suspect this isn't your issue, but it could be a bit of fluff or a dead insect or something against the speaker.

can you carefully use a vacuum cleaner tube to coax anything out of it?
An Opal Fruit wrapper! Why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes:

Seriously tho', I suppose some sort of insect invasion could be responsible, having said which it's all so well sealed I'm not sure how any could have got in. Anyway, like I say, for the moment I'm just enjoying the lack of buzz and hoping for the best.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
An Opal Fruit wrapper! Why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes:

Seriously tho', I suppose some sort of insect invasion could be responsible, having said which it's all so well sealed I'm not sure how any could have got in. Anyway, like I say, for the moment I'm just enjoying the lack of buzz and hoping for the best.
Gone are the days of toast being pushed into the VHS player ^_^

It could just be aliens mind you

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Damn! There was I wanting to believe it was sorted, not wanting to put the hex on by mentioning it, and all was well for a month and then suddenly Oscar Peterson's bassman hit that certain note and BZZZ! Same speaker though, so almost certainly the dodgy capacitor theory is off the table. Sigh. Looks like I'll have to renew my attempts to get into the thing, though the man at Leema says the cone fittings are 'very tight'. LIfe is hell, isn't it? :sad:

GuyBoden

Guru
Damn! There was I wanting to believe it was sorted, not wanting to put the hex on by mentioning it, and all was well for a month and then suddenly Oscar Peterson's bassman hit that certain note and BZZZ! Same speaker though, so almost certainly the dodgy capacitor theory is off the table. Sigh. Looks like I'll have to renew my attempts to get into the thing, though the man at Leema says the cone fittings are 'very tight'. LIfe is hell, isn't it? :sad:
That'll be Ray Brown on double bass, saw him live a few times. Wigan Jazz festival.

Top Bottom