Is there a time of the week that’s best for buying Euros?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
With just over a month to go before our great Snorkelling Adventure in the Med I need to buy Euros to top up our travel money card and cash to splash around on SWIMBO my Marina of just under the surface. Keeping an eye on the £ to € exchange rate I was wondering just when to buy. I have a feeling that before the main holiday season starts might be a good idea?

classic33

Leg End Member
Wednesday for buying, Thursday for selling back.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Do you have a decent foreign currency card like Monzo or Wise? They're generally so much more cost-effective and convenient than buying lump sums from exchanges or banks..

All uphill

Still rolling along
Another vote here for Monzo.

Skip all the trips to post office, carrying around cash and then dealing with what's left over when you get home.

Stick a few quid on a monzo card; top up from your bank via your phone, when needed. If it gets lost use the app to lock it.

OP
OP
dicko

dicko

Guru
Do you have a decent foreign currency card like Monzo or Wise? They're generally so much more cost-effective and convenient than buying lump sums from exchanges or banks..

We both have Caxton cards and pick up our cash from Asda when shopping.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
We both have Caxton cards and pick up our cash from Asda when shopping.

Cool - I see they've got mixed reviews but if you're on top of it and it works for you... :smile:

If you did want to try a Wise card I can do you a referral - I've had mine for ages and have been very impressed!

All uphill

Still rolling along
On a side note I've just been 9 days in the Netherlands touring on my bike.

I took €200 in cash and my Monzo card. Came home still having €200. I made every transaction by card, even 50c to use a WC, 75c for a ferry.

Next year I'll take €10 in cash.

OP
OP
dicko

dicko

Guru
Cool - I see they've got mixed reviews but if you're on top of it and it works for you... :smile:

If you did want to try a Wise card I can do you a referral - I've had mine for ages and have been very impressed!

Thank you but Caxton took us twice to New Zealand for two camper van adventures then to the USA so Caxton has seen us ok but watching the euro rates ready to load the cards.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A question about the various travel money cards... are they accepted all over the world by anywhere that accepts debit/credit card payments?

Gwylan

Veteran
With just over a month to go before our great Snorkelling Adventure in the Med I need to buy Euros to top up our travel money card and cash to splash around on SWIMBO my Marina of just under the surface. Keeping an eye on the £ to € exchange rate I was wondering just when to buy. I have a feeling that before the main holiday season starts might be a good idea?

After the next BoE MPC meeting.
Truth is the variance is quite small, unless you are dealing in a lot of zeros.

OP
OP
dicko

dicko

Guru
A question about the various travel money cards... are they accepted all over the world by anywhere that accepts debit/credit card payments?

Ours is Mastercard and accepted everywhere Mastercard is accepted that’s most places we ever traveled to.

Gwylan

Veteran
Pay in local currency and then it gets translated at the interbank rate. Halifax and Barclays did that and Lloyds did not. But that can have changed.

figbat

Slippery scientist
yeah but... Mastercard is credit card, not a travel money card.

No it isn’t. Well, it is a credit card but also a travel card and other payment services.

1716099997520.png

Top Bottom