Is there an auto-electrician in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My battery won't stop draining.

The battery itself is less than a year old, I'm assured the charging is working fine, but leave the car by the side of the road for a week and it's dead. My excellent car-fixer chaps freely admit that they're more comfortable fixing brakes and gearboxes, and electronics are not really their bag. They've gone as far as they can, re-doing the connections and getting all the basic electrics sound, but still it drains. Unfortunately the bloke they have always recommended for this sort of thing has recently retired, so I'm a bit stranded.

Does anyone know how you go about finding a good auto-electrician, how they charge, what sort of costs might be involved? I'd be very grateful for any advice. If I don't get this sorted soon my wife might feel obliged to strangle me - she's been very patient, but it's been going on for six months or more, and a succession of 'solutions' have failed to solve anything.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Glove compartment light, boot light, the list is endless

gbb

Legendary Member
There are videos on YouTube re pinpointing a parasitic drain, it may help you sort out things that are or aren't causing it.
As mentioned above, glovebox or bootlight, can you find their relevant fuses and pull it overnight, see if that stops the problem. No doubt there may be other items on the fuse...but quick and easy to try. You could continue pulling various fuses as time goes on.
Is the battery itself ok ? I dare say even when turned off, the car is still drawing some power, security systems etc.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There are videos on YouTube re pinpointing a parasitic drain, it may help you sort out things that are or aren't causing it.
As mentioned above, glovebox or bootlight, can you find their relevant fuses and pull it overnight, see if that stops the problem. No doubt there may be other items on the fuse...but quick and easy to try. You could continue pulling various fuses as time goes on.
Is the battery itself ok ? I dare say even when turned off, the car is still drawing some power, security systems etc.
Thanks, yes I did have a go along these lines, but got daunted when I saw the thing had two fuseboxes, with about 20 odd fuses in the first one I looked at, and the special tool to remove them missing, and me here with half a clue and a flakey ebay multimeter...

I do prefer DIY. But I'm out of my depth, and out of options. I really doubt there's anything wrong with the battery - it was fitted by Dennis, it's a proper name, and it's barely more than 6 months old, AKA 'brand new', by my standards anyway. Nah, there's a drain somewhere...

Glove compartment light, boot light, the list is endless

As I say, c.20 fuses just in fusebox#1

I'll find someone. Just thought the CC posse might have some hot tips. Win some lose some.... :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If it goes flat literally overnight, then the most efficient way to narrow it down by pulling fuses, is not to so them one by one, but to pull half the fuses out (making careful note of the values for each positionof course) so ofer a few days you can quickly eliminate half the circuits. 10 first day, 5 of the remaining 10 the next etc.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Any after-market accessories fitted? How long has the problem been evident?

No add-ons, nothing changed since I bought it about four years ago. It's been going on for about six months now. Indeed earlier episodes in this exciting saga are available at the click of a mouse.
If it goes flat literally overnight, then the most efficient way to narrow it down by pulling fuses, is not to so them one by one, but to pull half the fuses out (making careful note of the values for each positionof course) so ofer a few days you can quickly eliminate half the circuits. 10 first day, 5 of the remaining 10 the next etc.

I like it! Unfortunately it really doesn't work for me, because the battery lasts a week or two rather than dying overnight, but I like the thinking. But I think it really is time to turn to someone who knows what they're doing.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Do the interior and boot lights come on and go off as they should ?

Same for the glovebox light ?

What is special about the fuses ?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks again for your responses.

Do the interior and boot lights come on and go off as they should ?

Same for the glovebox light ?

What is special about the fuses ?
I know Dennis removed the boot light, as a possible easy fix that has no real downside. I know no lights stay on when the vehicle's left. I don't know if there's anything special about the fuses, but I'm guessing they're just the regular kind. It's a Honda after all. ^_^
As a quick fix you could allways fit a battery isolator switch such as this.Easy fit...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Batt...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
I wouldn't have thought to much of a job for a auto electrician but as for cost.Round here you could be looking at 40/50 a hour.

Thanks but I think if I proposed that she'd nut me. No, I need it fixed. 40/50 an hour sounds fine, tho' I haven't a clue how long will/may be needed :wacko:.

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks again for your responses.

I know Dennis removed the boot light, as a possible easy fix that has no real downside. I know no lights stay on when the vehicle's left. I don't know if there's anything special about the fuses, but I'm guessing they're just the regular kind. It's a Honda after all. ^_^

Thanks but I think if I proposed that she'd nut me. No, I need it fixed. 40/50 an hour sounds fine, tho' I haven't a clue how long will/may be needed :wacko:.
I'd doubt that long...dare I say that !
Should be able to do a couple of simple tests to start with.
Have a Google at "parasitic draw test" you could give it a go yourself if you feel confident enough.

Top Bottom