Is there anything like the "Motability" scheme for adapted / disabled bikes and trikes?

Discussion in 'Adaptive and Disabled Cycling' started by Bimble, 21 Jan 2016.

  1. Bimble

    Bimble Bimbling along ...

    I know you can exchange the mobility component of your DLA for a vehicle via the Motability Scheme, but is there anything similar for adapted bikes and trikes that allows you to pay for one in installments, or would you have to finance the purchase yourself by saving up or getting a loan?
  2. byegad

    byegad Guru

    NE England
    I seem to remember that you can get VAT Exemption through some dealers. I seem to remember that London Recumbents offer it.
    Saluki and Bimble like this.
  3. raleighnut

    raleighnut Guru

    On 3 Wheels
    If any of the members are clued up about it @mickle would be.

    FWIW I managed to put this together for just under a grand using all new components (except for the Brooks which I already had) for transport when I broke my femur. It fulfilled a dual purpose in that it got me about and gave me some physiotherapy at the same time.
    It's based on a Kentex 'Classic' trike with a 250w electric front wheel kit I fitted.

    This was the trike in standard form.


    It can be returned to this if I ever decide I don't need it anymore and the electric kit fitted to a 26" wheel MTB (hence the fork change as the standard wheels are 24")
    Last edited: 21 Jan 2016
  4. classic33

    classic33 Legendary Member

    Would changes in the law on the 6th April last year make any difference?

    Got one site that claims its possible, but only the one site, whilst searching.
    I've noticed a few more electric assist hand cranked adapted wheelchairs this year.
    Bimble likes this.
  5. ufkacbln

    ufkacbln Guest

    My wife is disabled and the VAT exemption is about modification

    I bought an HP Velotechnik Gekko with motor as it was ideal to give her mobility

    However because the trike is not "adapted" specifically I could not reclaim the VAT

    I could however claim for the pedal spacers used to accommodate the knee deformity and the standing aids as these again were a specific modification
    Bimble likes this.
  6. OP

    Bimble Bimbling along ...

    Thanks for the info. So whilst there isn't a direct payments style scheme for bikes, there is some tax relief for the equipment (with the exception of off-the-shelf gear by the sound of things). That sounds promising - but just to clarify, does it mean it has to be custom built from the ground up specifically for the user?
  7. Re disability products and VAT - It all boils down to this:

    There are two qualifiers for the purchase of disability specific products.

    Firstly: The person who's purchasing - or for whom the product is being purchased - must have a 'disability'. How do we determine this? There's no such thing as 'Registered Disabled'. We leave it to the customer to decide and to sign a declaration doc. (see attached) Which we hold on file for because the tax man.

    Secondly: The product itself must be: 'Designed for the exclusive use of someone with a disability'. So not a TV or a kettle or a windscreen wiper. But a wheelchair, hoist, adapted etc. (bearing in mind that 'old age' is not considered a disability). There is a grey area of course between mainstream products and disability products. So who decides what's a disability product? According to HMR&C it falls to the manufacturer of importer of the product.

    For us, we bring in a lot of special cycles in from abroad ourselves - so it falls to us. Yay.

    As far as financing is concerned - we have info on funding in our 'Potential Souces of Funding doc which can be found here:

    I can't tell you anything about Motability funding. And we don't currently offer any kind of financing of the kind youd find in a regular bike shop.

    Hope this helps.

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: 28 Jan 2016
    Hill Wimp, Mrs bean, Scoosh and 2 others like this.
  8. Just to add: There's sh!t loads of money around for the purchase of disability bikes (and other equipment) for children - but as soon as you hit 18/19 most of it evaporates.
    classic33 likes this.
  9. classic33

    classic33 Legendary Member

    Noticed that last night looking.
  10. ufkacbln

    ufkacbln Guest

    As Mickle pointed out it is the clause

    The Gekko is a standard machine..... so I had to pay VAT

    I believe that the Kettwiesel itself attracts VAT, but a hand cranked one does not because of this definition
  11. OP

    Bimble Bimbling along ...

    Wow, thanks a lot for the info and definition - very comprehensive and very much appreciated. Thank you. It's such a shame you can't get the exemption on standard equipment such as trikes and quads (if you don't need them specifically customising), it would save a few quid in the cases where a trike / quad is an absolute requirement from a balance perspective.
    mickle, classic33 and summerdays like this.
  12. classic33

    classic33 Legendary Member

    Any search which has brought up anything worthwile, all points towards/in Mickles direction.
    Even asking at the local mobility specialists earlier this week, got me pointed in his direction!
    raleighnut and mickle like this.
  13. The stuff we import ourselves we can sell VAT exempt. So Hase trikes for instance.
    Bimble likes this.
  14. classic33

    classic33 Legendary Member

    I realise it's a bit since the last post, but posting this bit found out since.

    If you can prove the disability side, then the VAT paid on the bike/trike/quad can be claimed back at time of purchase.
    Exact scheme seems to be long winded and a case of perseravrence seeing you through.
  15. ufkacbln

    ufkacbln Guest

    We tried when we bought the Gekko but after a long battle managed to reclaim VAT on the handlebar extensions
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice