Is there really that much difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
If I have learned anything in life, it is that it is often possible to have just as much enjoyment from any hobby with relatively inexpensive kit as it is with the top of the range gear. If you have money to burn and can afford top of the range stuff, fine, but I don't think the average recreational cyclist/photographer/angler/driver/whatever needs to spend a fortune for gear.

Cheap gear needn't be unreliable, there is a lot of very good second hand stuff out there for sensible money. If something was high quality once, it's still high quality so long as the previous owner cared for it. I don't worry about damaging my old Pentax SLR camera, I know people who go around with thousands of pounds worth of camera equipment who are constantly worried about it being damaged/stolen. People with expensive cars are often paranoid about where to park them in case of vandalism, I don't have that worry with my 16 yo Peugeot 205, and I will happily drive it through fields to "play" with it. I doubt the average Ferrari driver would do that and is missing out on fun!

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
If I have learned anything in life, it is that it is often possible to have just as much enjoyment from any hobby with relatively inexpensive kit as it is with the top of the range gear.

Very true! (And the exact opposite of the "All the gear - no idea" crowd.)

VamP

Banned
Very true! (And the exact opposite of the "All the gear - no idea" crowd.)

Yep, have to agree with that.

Also there is nothing more embarassing than having a high end bike, yet performing poorly. I would have to be really really sure about my fitness and and ability to let myself be seen out and about on a really good bike.

yello

Personally speaking, I'd love to perform poorly on a high end bike! Sod what others think of me!!

I could always perform better. I won't always be able afford a better spec bike! (In fact, I can't now. I have to make do)

Seriously though, I think the 'all the gear, no idea' taunts are a little harsh sometimes. I know if I had the dosh, I'd be riding better spec bikes than I have... even at the risk of them being lost on me. If I were a beginner and budget wasn't an issue, then I'm pretty sure I'd being buying the best I could afford... and that, by default, would be the best there is.... whatever the best may be.

In truth, I suspect I'm more jealous than critical! I know because there's a guy in my club who has just bought a second carbon fibre Look. He's still not the first up climbs. I just wanna say 'giz a go mister'!

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I love the fact that manufacturers still put point and shoot modes on a £1000 camera - why?

Because there's a market for it

It's the same with bikes

eg.

'This new frameset is 100g lighter than last years'

Hardly a stellar improvement - but enough to convince some.

Top Bottom