Is there really that much difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it has probably been said by somebody above but there is a massive difference between stuff which is too cheap and OK stuff (middle of the rangish) but when you go beyond that you get a little bit better performance wise but most of the cost is just fashion, the ones that springs to mind to me: cheap but non specific sport t shirt - DHB, Altura, Endura et al. - Rapha.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1
Oh, I don't think there's any harm in wanting better kit. But what C+ and other mags do is give the impression that you can't go cycling at all without having all the gear and spending a fortune on something which wouldn't look out of place halfway up Mt Ventoux. For most people this is just not true.

brockers

Shorts. Big difference. A couple of years ago, I thought a pair of £60 shorts was really as much as you'd need to spend (and leagues ahead in comfort compared to the budget ones from Decathlon which I've used). Then I said 'fu*kit!' and treated myself to a pair of £110 Assos bibs to see what the hype was about. Again, there is a world of difference between them and my previous £60 Giordanas. (Actually about an hour longer in the saddle before my gentleman's parts go numb.)

Apart from that it's all about stiffness, lightness and responsiveness as the price goes up. But like everything else, the law of diminishing returns applies.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
the price point that matters is whatever gets you kit that's effective, reliable and has a decent lifespan...exactly what this point is will vary depending on your needs.

Below that it's more hit and miss and understandably so, why put decent kit on BSOs that are unlikely to break 100 miles for their entire life? If you know what to look for then there are good bargains but a lot of us don't and are prepared to pay a bit more to remove some uncertainty.

Going above the pricepoint, if you don't make a living from cycling, is just indulging a hobby...nothing wrong with that at all but I'd never pretend I 'needed' some of the kit I have.

The only bit that bugs me is when they have huge pricetags on kit that makes you, or your bike, look like a walking billboard. A bit of labelling is ok but some of them just take the pee.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
there's the old saying... buy cheap, buy twice.

But that's not for me... I replaced a fully working Acera rear mech with an XT one and the difference in performance is so great the Acera one will be going back on if/when the XT one fails.

I'm not saying buy the cheapest... but the most expensive is never good value.

OP
OP
pepecat

pepecat

In fairness, my N+1 is an ancient steel frame mountain bike bought from ebay, and compared to the road bike, i hate it. The gear changes take forever, it's heavy as hell, and goes like a knackered donkey most of the time. I was't really comparing MTB and road bikes - that kinda feels like comparing apples and oranges. I get that there is a big difference between MTB and road bikes - it's more all the road bike kit i was narked at.

Yeah, i see the point about shorts too. My first pair were from halfords, and were cheap (£14) cos i'd never worn padded shorts before and didn't want to spend a huge amount on them in case i hated them. Second pair were alturas and cost £25, and are WAY better than the halfords ones. Then i got some nailini bib shorts in the 'for sale section' here....and oh my goodnes.....i LOVE them!! I would pay good money for bib shorts again i think, but not £250!

Number6

Hi, First real post here and I'll have to admit I'm not really clued up specifically on bike bits but I do have lots of experience in upgrading stuff. I'm what you might call a serial modder i.e I can't leave anything standard....... cars, motorbikes, hi-fi, it's all the same and one rule always comes into play........ The law of diminishing returns. The trick is catching yourself before you start chasing that last nth, if anyone finds the secret please let me know.

But enough of that.............anyone have a good source for Ti bolts ;)

earth

This is why I stopped reading C+. It used to be a great mag, full of interesting articles on how to build your own Li-ion battery lighting system on a budget, and so forth. Now you'd think it was impossible to go cycling without spending many thousands of pounds before even getting on a bike. Is it bollocks. Cycling for the huge majority of people is entirely possible without spending over a couple of hundred quid on a halfway decent secondhand bike and a couple of pairs of lycra shorts. (I'm not talking about racing or time trialling here, although it's possible to do those on a budget too.) Any suggestion that you need a special bike just for going shopping (£900) or whatever is actibvely damaging, I think, and should be discouraged at all costs.

I bought a magazine recently that has adverts for 10K+ bikes in it. A few years ago I thought a 6K bike was pushing it but you could argue that they are the bike equivalent of an F1 car and people do ride the TdF on them.

Now only 4 years later there are 10K bikes in magazine on the newsagents shelf. The increase is too much too quick. The may be a place for 10K+ bikes but surely its in more serious circles. I think you are right in that it is potentially damaging. At some point sense will prevail, the scales will tip and people will shun this craze. It will be damaging as was the housing bubble.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Funny you should mention this. My carbon bike has a 10 speed 105 groupset (bought secondhand from Jiggerypokery of this parish), compact chainset, Shimano RS30 wheels and Conti GP tyres. About £1200 at present-day prices.
It weighs 9.3 kg and I can often win the pub sprint on it.
My hack is a singlespeeder, with Shimano WHR500 wheels, bits from the spares heap, 28 mm wire-beaded tyres and a Dynatech frame that I got in 1994 or so. All in, about £250. And I did a hilly ride on it last week, and won the pub sprint. Although they may have felt sorry for me.
It too weighs 9.3 kg.

The bike makes some difference, but ultimately it's the engine. If you're half-way fit, it doesn't matter so much what you're riding. If you're not, a great bike won't help you all that much.

brockers

Hi, First real post here and I'll have to admit I'm not really clued up specifically on bike bits but I do have lots of experience in upgrading stuff. I'm what you might call a serial modder i.e I can't leave anything standard....... cars, motorbikes, hi-fi, it's all the same and one rule always comes into play........ The law of diminishing returns. The trick is catching yourself before you start chasing that last nth, if anyone finds the secret please let me know.

I see what's happened here. You've blown all your dosh modding cars, motorbikes*, and hifi*, so you're back to where it all started. Pushbikes. Cos it's cheaper!

Welcome to the club

*wouldn't say I've exactly been there, but I would have, had I had the spare cash. And with cars too probably.

david k

Hi
i notice the difference between my old heavy mountain bike and my carrera subway 2, it was like going from a fiesta to a F1 car!! now ive done about 150 mile on it i thinkin of getting a road bike

mountian bike £100 - now given away
carrea subway £350

also bought
handlebar bag off ebay £5
velcro straps for pedals - £10
computer halfords -£15
bottle carrier halfords- £5
bar ends halfords - £10ish
padded shorts sports direct - £8
orange bike top sports direct - £7
already had under layers
bought some running stuff from matalan - around £12
mudgaurds - halfords - £20

ive tried to buy pretty cheap and really like my bike and gear based on the budget ive had. im lookin for road bike but may just upgrade tyres on subway to road type for now, any suggestions?

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Got 4 bikes

£25 used Apollo CX10 700c hybrid all steel cheapo Halfords jobbie for tatting around and shopping, can still average 15mph over a flatish 20 miles

£200 B'Twin Rockrider 5.2 MTB, Alu frame with basic front suspension and 24 speed Altus groupo, fine for my leisurely off road rides around the Peak District.

£300 Carrera Hybrid 700c light tourer, SRAM X4, 16 Speed, not the lightest machine, but can do 60 miles without discomfort.

£1000 (RRP, I got it half price) Raleigh U6 Alu-carbon road bike with full 105 10 speed compact groupo with FSA finishing kit

Most of my clothing is from Decathlon, I tend not to spend over £35 on any one item (except my Specialized road shoes as they were the only ones I could find to fit).

You should buy a bike for your intended use. Entry level components are reliable and cheap to replace, Decathlon offer 2 years components warranty on even their cheapest bikes.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I bought a magazine recently that has adverts for 10K+ bikes in it. A few years ago I thought a 6K bike was pushing it but you could argue that they are the bike equivalent of an F1 car and people do ride the TdF on them.

Now only 4 years later there are 10K bikes in magazine on the newsagents shelf. The increase is too much too quick. The may be a place for 10K+ bikes but surely its in more serious circles. I think you are right in that it is potentially damaging. At some point sense will prevail, the scales will tip and people will shun this craze. It will be damaging as was the housing bubble.

I think this is also a reflection of our lack of manufacturing and the devaluation of the £

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

It won't.

With houses they all go up together leaving the average bod unable to afford one, but with bikes the top-end kit may well cost ten grand (it has to, or the likes of David Beckham wouldn't be seen dead on one) but that doesn't stop you still being able to get a fantastic machine for a lot less than a tenth of that.

Top Bottom