Is this a cycle lane?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
15022012.jpg
What does this road marking mean? Is it a cycle lane?
It's recently been installed on my commute (along with the 'hump' thing further along).
Cheers.

It's the newest signage standards, introduced to reduce the national deficit.

Alert councils have realised that reducing excessive speed on roads by installing speed cameras, paying traffic police, making major changes to infrastructure, and all the rest, is extremely expensive - and a long drawn out process too, dealing with all the objectors.

There is of course a very much cheaper option, as here

Use cyclists to reduce the speed of other road users. They're cheap, expendable, easily replaceable, and nobody likes 'em! BINGO!

Oh dear - I am getting cynical in old age.

daSmirnov

Looks like that whole lane is a cycle lane to me. If I see any motorists on that road I'm going to tell em to get on their road. Cuz this is clearly ma road.

We have these here in Norwich: the Yarmouth road is covered with them .... they are to remind drivers that there cyclists using the road, on roads that are not wide enough for an additional seperate cycle lane.

col

Legendary Member
Where I live they painted a cycle lane on a road too narrow for one, it takes up a third of the too narrow road anyway , on a right turn, just off a roundabout exit, very well thought out, but only costs the price of a bit of paint.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
We have these here in Norwich: the Yarmouth road is covered with them .... they are to remind drivers that there cyclists using the road, on roads that are not wide enough for an additional seperate cycle lane.
That makes sense, as the road narrows at that point too. Thanks.

snorri

Legendary Member
I think it is meant to be a warning to motor vehicle drivers to lookout for cyclists negotiating the pinch point ahead.
It would be interesting to ask the roads authority why they had not created a cycle lane through the pinch point in accordance with design guidelines.

pshore

I was getting punishment passes every few days for not using the cyclepath in my village. The trouble was, the dimwit motorists couldn't work out that the shared use path ends at the end of my village and becomes a footpath inside the village. It didn't help that most of the cyclists had been scared off the road and used the footpath illegally to escape.

Now we have pictures of bikes on the road all the abuse has stopped except from the most hardened knuckle draggers. Very sad that you cannot safely and legally use the road unless a picture of a bicycle appears on it.

13291686121762.jpg

Barely room for a ped.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We have them on various roads - but my favourite ones are on Dovercourt Road - they painted them on but then the local cycle group (I think) complained they were in the door zone - so they repainted them further out in the road with a cross next to the ones closer in!!! I always read it as no - don't cycle there - much further out:laugh:

goody

Veteran
[QUOTE 1726495, member: 45"]Not a cycle path, just a place where a poor bicycle died.[/quote]
That's what I thought a bit like the chalk outline around a murder victim.

col

Legendary Member
Im glad I reads this thread, Iv never seen those before and wouldnt have understood it?

Mad at urage

I think it is meant to be a warning to motor vehicle drivers to lookout for cyclists negotiating the pinch point ahead.
It would be interesting to ask the roads authority why they had not created a cycle lane through the pinch point in accordance with design guidelines.
Because creating a cycle lane through a pinch point gives drivers a lane to pass (too closely) at the pinch-point (because they think that the cycle lane magically protects the cyclist who should therefore be wholly in that lane).

Top Bottom