Is this a decent bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
How would a bike like this compare performance-wise with an entry level road bike bought brand new for £550?

I'm looking for a bike that's faster than my current entry-level Trek hybrid, so I can get to work quicker!

Many thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-...879151?hash=item521f62ae6f:g:~poAAOSwBlBdJIwn

A bike is only as fast as the person riding it and why on the earth does anybody want to get to work quicker :laugh:

Even @Drago never wanted to get to work quicker

Drago

Legendary Member
It'd probably be fairly swift and comfortable, assuming it fits you well.

The amount of performance 550 sheets will buy you varies greatly, so it's not possibly to give a definitive answer. However, once you're used to friction gears and less effective brakes it probably propels forward at a competitive rate of knots.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's a nice bike, I'd say from the early/mid seventies. Their 103 tubing wasn't very special so it won't be very light. Although it looks racy it actually has quite a long wheelbase and soft head angle so should be quite comfortable and not too twitchy. If commuting you'll need mudguards which are catered for with eyelets. The wheels are not the originals and the pedals have been replaced with cheap plastic ones but apart from that it's looks okay.
Like it says you'll need to be about 6'2 or over so you'll need for it to pass the Victor Silvester test.
Welcome to the world of vintage bikes and of course welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
A bike is only as fast as the person riding it

Whilst on the whole I agree with the sentiment. A rider of x endurance and y power might be faster on a different bike. Hence changing bike might make OP faster.
A bikes theoretical top speed depends on both the output of the rider and the gearing, and to a lesser extent tyre resistance and overall aero.

Yes, in most cases the limiting factor is the rider and changing bike will not achieve a significant improvement, but if the commute is mosty straight and flat, a bike with higher gearing will have greater top speed if the rider has the power and endurance to use it.

Notwithstanding the above. I would rather get to work as comfortably as possible rather than as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
How tall are you? That's a *big* frame, I'd guess perfect for someone my height (6'4").

The 16 gears are not specified- for a bike of that vintage it's likely to be higher geared than a modern road bike. Something to be aware of if you have a penchant for very steep hills.

Decathlon currently offer this for £560.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-500-af-gf-road-bike-sora-disc-id_8393116.html

It's 3kg lighter than the reported weight on the Peugeot.

For me, if commuting, mudguards are absolutely essential, unless summer only use.

TBH, at the price you have little to lose, you can always flog it on again at little loss.

Replacing the tyres and putting bar ends on your trek will make a big difference to the speed you'll get from it btw.

Salar

A fish out of water
French bottom bracket? might be worth checking if replacements are available and how much, just in case you need to change it sometime.

Top Bottom