Is this a decent tool kit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toby_2009

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

oh and do all BB's use the same tool?

Cheers

Mr Pig

cheadle hulme said:
The exact same kit was for sale under a different brand

Actually the Lidl kit is not the same, the Lidl one has more in it. In addition to what this Ice Tools kit has the Lidl kit has:

Chain whip.
Pedal Spanner 15X16/15X17.
Puncture repair kit.
Screwdriver bits flat X2 Star X2.
Sockets 8, 9, 10 mm
Two-pin BB cup tool.
Lockring tool.
Tyre levers.

Lidl still had the kits in the last time I was there, which was last week. I think they were £25.

kyuss

Veteran
Mr Pig said:
Actually the Lidl kit is not the same, the Lidl one has more in it. In addition to what this Ice Tools kit has the Lidl kit has:

Chain whip. (Does the job)
Pedal Spanner 15X16/15X17. (Which slips too easily and broke the bearing case on my spd's, rounding off the spanner flats at the same time. Rubbish)
Puncture repair kit. (Which is okay if you use burly MTB tubes, useless for skinny road tubes. Rubbish)
Screwdriver bits flat X2 Star X2. (Okay I suppose, but something most folk will have already lying about the house.)
Sockets 8, 9, 10 mm (Same as above)
Two-pin BB cup tool. (Not used it in anger as I don't have any bikes that were made before 1970)
Lockring tool. (Fine for getting lockrings off, totally useless at putting them on due to the rivet on one side not allowing the tool to get close enough to engage. Rubbish)
Tyre levers. (Snapped on first use. Rubbish)

Lidl still had the kits in the last time I was there, which was last week. I think they were £25.

The BB tool, crank puller and chainwhip are the only things I regularly use, everything else is a bit meh and I could live without them. It was good value at the £15 I paid last year, I wouldn't buy it at £25.

Mr Pig

kyuss said:
It was good value at the £15 I paid last year, I wouldn't buy it at £25.

Prices have gone up. You can't buy this tool kit for £15 any more and why pay more for a kit with less in it?

I disagree about the quality. I know they're not Park Tools but for occasional use they are fine. I've used the pedal spanner a good few times and it's been fine. All of the other tools have been fine too. The BB tool and cassette tool are pretty close in quality to the Shimano tools I also have, and those two tools cost close to the price of the whole Lidl kit.

For what you're getting these kits are fantastic value. Most people will need very few additional tools and for the average cyclist the quality is good enough.

byegad

Legendary Member
I bought one some years ago. I've since replaced the Allen Keys (they wore out) and added some extras but it does what it says on the tin! Now I do my own maintainance on my fleet.

Mr Pig

The Ice Toolz one has a chain whip. It's part of the big spanner.

Fair enough but I think I'd rather have them as separate tools. I think that trying to use the big spanner with a chain flapping off the side of it would just be annoying. Cost cutting taken too far.

On a par with Park Tools is high praise, they must be good. I have a few Park Tools and they are certainly better than the tools in the Lidl kit.

kyuss

Veteran
Why not just buy the bits you need? Decent quality crank pullers, BB tools, chainwhips, freewheel remover and chain breakers can all be got for much less than £10 each. On a modern bike those 5 tools are pretty much all you need, everything else can be serviced with a set of allen keys and screwdrivers. £40 spent that way will get you better quality too.

Top Bottom