Is this a good bike/deal? (2012 Ridley Orion Vacansoleil Team)

Should I get it?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AANSHAY123

Hi! I am in the market for my first road bike. I am looking for an all-rounder race type of bike. The owner of this bike is a member of my local cycling club and asked if I would be interested in a bike he has for sale but I am not too sure if it is good. I have been looking at the CAAD13 105 disc, Felt FR 30, Emonda ALR, Canyon Endurace, and mainly aluminum bikes with a 105 groupset. I have mainly been looking in the $1500-2000ish area. Unfortunately, this bike has rim brakes and the groupset is a bit outdated.

I am in my late teens, around 171cm, an inseam of 77cm, 145lbs and athletic

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!

Here is a link to the posting:
https://skagit.craigslist.org/bik/d/anacortes-2012-ridley-orion-vacansoleil/7349570207.html

Description: Full "carbon fiber" ultra light 52cm Uni-sex frame for medium-sized riders. Fantastic riding and handling bike - stiff and responsive, yet super comfortable. It's in near perfect condition - never crashed or dropped and has been lovingly cared for. Shimano "Ultegra" shifters & front derailleur. The Shimano "105" rear derailleur is currently mounted with lower gearing for easier long climbs. Also included is an additional Ultegra rear derailleur and cogset with higher gearing for faster and longer rides. Mounted pedals are not included. Fizik bar tape. Fulcrum Racing 7 rims with Gatorskin tires. Recently fully tuned up and minimally ridden since. Incredibly light at only apx. 18 pounds! This is a fantastic buy on an amazingly beautiful, eye-catching custom performance bike that you will love to ride! Original owner, registered VIN serial numbers.

Attachments

• 00S0S_j0tbaQSCupJz_0CI0ik_600x450.jpg
    00S0S_j0tbaQSCupJz_0CI0ik_600x450.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 00h0h_1VxdKwpKmaZz_0CI0ik_600x450.jpg
    00h0h_1VxdKwpKmaZz_0CI0ik_600x450.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 00y0y_aZLgN4bpclrz_0ik0CI_600x450.jpg
    00y0y_aZLgN4bpclrz_0ik0CI_600x450.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 00z0z_73nluSdzwhLz_0CI0ik_600x450.jpg
    00z0z_73nluSdzwhLz_0CI0ik_600x450.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 00m0m_ko3uu1iB5phz_0CI0ik_600x450.jpg
    00m0m_ko3uu1iB5phz_0CI0ik_600x450.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 00w0w_f9UBFDMxz6Xz_0CI0im_600x450.jpg
    00w0w_f9UBFDMxz6Xz_0CI0im_600x450.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 36

Cycleops

Legendary Member
$1500 seems an awful lot of money for a nearly ten year old bike. Sure it’s a great spec but I think you’d be better off buying new aluminium frame bike especially if just getting into bikes. Carbon isn’t always better then aluminium so don’t get too obsessed with it. Buying new means you have all the assurance you need with warranties etc and latest spec gear including discs. Resale value will be better too.

View: https://youtu.be/h3RG5dztrXM

vickster

Legendary Member
Seems very expensive for a 10 year old bike as above. Also the wheels are pretty basic for example

there is nothing wrong with Rim brakes ona fair weather racer (as opposed to an all weather commuter)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Bandit... for that money get something a lot newer and probably with an easier upgrade path in the future.

And why is he chucking in an Ultegra RD when the bike has a 105 installed? Seems weird to me.

Photographing bikes in a gear combo with that chain-line is also criminal, just sayin'.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AANSHAY123

$1500 seems an awful lot of money for a nearly ten year old bike. Sure it’s a great spec but I think you’d be better off buying new aluminium frame bike especially if just getting into bikes. Carbon isn’t always better then aluminium so don’t get too obsessed with it. Buying new means you have all the assurance you need with warranties etc and latest spec gear including discs. Resale value will be better too.

View: https://youtu.be/h3RG5dztrXM

Oh okay. Thank you. Would it be worth it to get the price lower or should I just look for something new? Also, what would you pay for this bike. Thanks!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Around half would be more realistic, but this guy seems to have an unreasonable idea of his bikes worth. I’d think he might be rather upset at what he might see as a “derisory “ offer and could sour your relationship, if that’s important to you. It’s really up to you if want this or something new. Always a buzz when you get something new and unused plus it’ll be the latest model and spec. The Ridley has quite aggressive geometry so will be quite twitchy and the ride will be rather unforgiving. Have you ridden it? Are you an aggressive rider?

AuroraSaab

Veteran
https://skagit.craigslist.org/d/for-sale/search/sss?query=carbon bike

These are the carbon bikes available in the same area as the one that guy is selling. Big variations in price, but the fact that his bike hasn't sold in almost a month suggests it isn't a great deal.

It's always tempting to buy from someone you know but it doesn't always mean it's a good deal. We often tend to over value our stuff too, especially if we paid a lot for it when new, but it's the used market that dictates the price. I think the bike is overpriced and I'd keep looking.

Edit: 2 years ago I paid £200 for a 2007/8 carbon Giant tcr road bike in the UK. Love the bike, but at the end of the day it's an old bike. $1500 is a lot of money for an old bike and you will take a bit hit when you come to sell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom