Is this a good value for money bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member

Last edited:

Hip Priest

Veteran
For that sort of money, I'd consider 2nd hand. See if there's a local cycling sale page on Facebook for your area. I see loads of good, clean bikes at that sort of price point. You might grab yourself a bargain.

sgl5gjr

The Triban 500 SE is a good bike.... highly rated by the Cycle press..... well built and the microShift groupset is very good too...... go for it......
I speak from experience as I have MTB and my Ladies of the house have Triban Road Bikes..... and as a Bike mechanic I'll tell you that for the price point...Decathlon's bikes are well spec'd and well respected by many too

OP
OP
S

sakins

I'm not an expert, so I wont be testing my luck on second hand bikes and I rather get a new one.

sgl5gjr - thanks and Ithink I will go for the Triban because I'm not getting any comments on why I should choose another bike and what is bettter/worse in the specs between them. Seems like there is no big difference and people just have their own preferences.

That Verenti sure has good reviews, but it looks just awfull and is it reallythat better? Is there anythingspecific that makes it a superior bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
Why does the Verenti look awful, at least it's not black ;)

Go to decathlon and have a ride around the store. See what you think. The tribans are renowned for having poor wheels, so you may wish to budget for an upgrade

The Verenti has a wider range of gears than the triban from what I can see

MattDB

Über Member
Have you looked at Felt?

I had a similar criteria to you. I just bought a Felt Z95 back in September:
At the time there was a 90% assembled version which came quicker and it was about £365.

I'm absolutely loving this bike and it's been really solid. I've had a broken chain and I've had to add some grease to the bottom bracket but I'm really enjoying the bike and have been commuting daily on it. A few people have mentioned comfort being an issue on this bike - you are leaning forward more than on others but I've had no issues with the saddle. This bike has pretty good reviews which is what made my mind up. I know people say less-than-great things about Sora groupsets but, once adjusted correctly these have performed very well for me.

Re: Wheels - where I ride there are a lot of potholes and I've also used it in the dark on some pretty rough cycle paths and they've held up well. I looked briefly at a triban before going for the Felt.

http://www.merlincycles.com/felt-f95-road-bike-2014-72321.html

Good luck in your decision, I think you'll love whichever you get! Let us know.....

OP
OP
S

sakins

Vickster, it just seems like a anapealing color cheme for me.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I looked at the felt too, but can't find it on a sale under 400 anywhere. Anyway, I might stay with my original choice. Will but it in 2 weeks if nothing changes my mind.
My feedback will be here later too :smile:
Thanks again.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Unless you know what your looking for a place whee you can try the bike for size like a bike shop or decathlon etc are a better bet than an online purchase , the triban bikes are well regarded , some say that the wheels are a bit cheap but i will admit to using a set of triban wheels since xmas as winter commute whels and yes they are not the lightest etc but they have stood up against the gunk /potholes well enough and just ride them till they fall apart then look at budgeting around£60-70 for a set of something like shimano r501`s

Saluki

World class procrastinator
If you are tall, @vickster's suggestion of the Defy 3 is a good one. Giant Defys are stunning bikes, I had one for a long while and loved it to bits. Once I bought a carbon bike, I didn't ride it much so sold it to a friend who loves it as much as I did.

OP
OP
S

sakins

Thanks for the advice on wheels cyberknight.

Saluki, I like the giant defy 3 and I would go for it, but I'm 181cm long and the larger sizes would be too big for me.

wardy_uk

Ive got the Triban T5a which is more or less last years version of the 500... and its seriously top notch. I ride with guys who've easily spent double on thier bike, and theres not a lot to tell between us.... only change i needed from stock was an upgrade on the tyres, other than that Im 2500kms in and going strong with it. If you google Triban Owners theres a strong and very helpful forum full of top advice and strong advocates of the Tribans. Love mine

Top Bottom