Is this a mismatch of parts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
It's probably just badly tuned - take it to an LBS to adjust.

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
Will1985 said:
It's probably just badly tuned - take it to an LBS to adjust.
I bought it from Halfords and the front wheel wouldnt spin because it rubbed so bad, then i thought ill take it to an LBS and get a full service. I did yesterday which was £40, when i picked the bike up he told me the parts are mismatched and theres nothing that can be done about the rubbing short of changing them.

At the time i wasnt paying much attention but thinking about it now why would they design bikes with mis matched parts that make the chain rub. So this guy lied to me?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Why didn't you take it back to Halfords to fix?
If there was a problem then surely your beloved Halfords would have fixed it for free.

blazed said:
I bought it from Halfords and the front wheel wouldnt spin because it rubbed so bad, then i thought ill take it to an LBS and get a full service. I did yesterday which was £40, when i picked the bike up he told me the parts are mismatched and theres nothing that can be done about the rubbing short of changing them.

At the time i wasnt paying much attention but thinking about it now why would they design bikes with mis matched parts that make the chain rub. So this guy lied to me?

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
ianrauk said:
Why didn't you take it back to Halfords to fix?
If there was a problem then surely your beloved Halfords would have fixed it for free.

I wanted to try another LBS, i want to find a good LBS. When i do i will use it. But anyway this just proves my point once more, because this guy couldnt service my bike properly he lied to me and left me with a chain which rubs.

Can anyone confirm by looking at the specification on the halfords link that the parts should all work together fine? Since i will be going back to the LBS tomorrow.

So what's on it, partwise. If you don't know, you should have the service sheets for all the parts on your bike which will be for front and rear derailleurs, plus other bits. Failing that some photos of the two. Actually even what bike it is, specific model would be a start.

Edit: sorry didn't see the first link.

Actually it only specs the rear derailleur.

Which gears does it rub in? You know of course not to use the inner front with rear two smallest and the outer with the rear two largest?

I think the problem is someone imagining that he knows how to specify the components on a range of bikes because he used to have a career as a bike rider. The components are mismatched. Halfords claim that Chris Boardman MBE designs and specs all the bikes himself so obviously he's the person who is responsible for your transmission problem. I suggest you write to him asking what he intends to do to resolve the issue.

simon_brooke

blazed said:

Well, the rear derailleur and cassette are mountain bike parts and the chainset is a road bike part. That much is true. I can't see from the picture what the front mech is and the specification doesn't say. However I'd expect it to be a road bike part because the front mech and the chainset need to match quite closely.

Having said that Boardman do not make crap bikes, so basically if neither Halfords nor your LBS could set it up properly then they're both incompetent. It isn't rocket science, and it isn't even difficult.

Vertically, the front mech needs to be set so that it clears the big chain ring by about a millimetre. fore and aft, the front mech needs to be exactly in alignment with the chainset. The limit screws need to be set so that the chain does not overshift off. And thats about it.

Having said that, if the left hand shifter has only two or three detents (as too many have these days), then you will get rubbing when on the big chain ring and the largest two cogs at the back, or on the small chain ring and the smallest two cogs at the back. That is normal and nothing to worry about, although it puts less strain on the chain if you avoid these extreme crossed gears. If the shifter has more than two detents, then when you hear the rubbing, trim it!

Ivan Ardon

Halfords sell you a bike that has mismatch components that they can't adjust properly, you take it to a bike shop that gives it to you straight, and the bike shop is the baddie in all this?

May I refer you you to reply given in the Arkell V Pressdram case.

Top Bottom