Is this a record?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Whilst cycling about the wolds today on my old winter hack, I got thinking about what tlc I have given it over the twenty three years since I bought it new. The thing is I should probably be arrested for bike abuse and neglect, because the only things I have changed on it in all that time are the saddle, the bar tape, the cables and the brake blocks. Would you believe that even the tyres and tubes are the originals!

It did have about seven years stuffed at the back of the Attrick junk store forgotten and ignored, but apart from that it has seen very regular use including daily fourteen mile round trip commutes for six or seven years.

Even now there appears to be little tyre wear although I do concede there is a little crazing apparent in the walls. (Yes I know......change 'em). It makes me wonder what the compound is made of. It must be hard as the wet grip is er...not in the champion league.

The (steel) chainset is ok, the chain is probably cream crackered, but if I get a new one I'll have to change the freewheel because a couple of the rings are a little hooked.

As the bike is only worth a few bob, I don't want to un-necessarily spend money on it, so while it still rides ok, it will get its exercise.

Gerry Attrickrocious!

Quite right you are missing a trick. Post retirement, a visit to the LBS for new, shiny bliss surely?

On all right then - keep it. But post us a photo please!;)

tyred

Legendary Member
They don't build them like they used to!

A c1980 Raleigh Sport (ladies frame) recently came into my possession and I believe even the brake blocks are original. It hasn't had much use though.

Anyway, well done and keep riding it.

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Aperitif said:
Gerry Attrickrocious!

Quite right you are missing a trick. Post retirement, a visit to the LBS for new, shiny bliss surely?

On all right then - keep it. But post us a photo please!;)
I posted on another thread a few days ago to say that both Mrs A and I had both ordered new tourers from Dave Yates. These are our retirement prezzies. I will post a picture of my old hack (when I take one) as although it is worth nothing, I've become quite attached to it, and I can leave it outside the village boozer without fear of it vanishing.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have an old Falcon racer which i bought new in 1991 & I haven't replaced much on that. Tyres & tubes a few times, not sure about brake blocks :biggrin: & I only changed the chain last year :girl:
I know what you mean about being attached to an old bike, I sold mine for £100, but 12 months later I saw the guy that bought it & he'd never used it, just left it outside, so I bought it back. Sad I know. I fit guards & a rack to use it for winter, but I've ended up using my new tricross most of the winter :wub:

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Here are a couple of photos as promised. The picture of the tyre is the front wheel, the rear is a bit more worn, but not much. Note the original steel chrome-plated rims. Each wheel weighs nearly as much as my whole road bike:biggrin:
It has Sachs-Huret much maligned but oh-so-cheap front and rear mechs, but they function perfectly well with a bit of cleaning and lubrication and the ubiquitous (in the eighties) Weinmann brake calipers.

tyred

Legendary Member
Steel wheels don't get covered in sticky black gunge over the winter.

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

I had thought of buying new wheels in alloy (they are 27 x 1 1/4 but are still available), but that would detract from its non-desirability and cost me more than the entire bike is worth, so until or unless they collapse :rolleyes: I'll keep running steel. Bear in mind the bike is only used now in winter and to go to the local.

Top Bottom