Is this a worthy intro to road bike…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

filk

Regular
Hi All,
Asking price is £350, which feels a bit high to me. £300 tops sound sensible?
Specialized Allez Sport, apparently a 2021 model? With Shimano Sora.
any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.
many thanks

Attachments

• 025AE852-88A6-456D-B73F-D973A5D772F1.jpeg
    025AE852-88A6-456D-B73F-D973A5D772F1.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Looks well used. Probably end of life.....

New old stock about of that model £600 so on that basis I would think£200 at best looking at the state of it

If it sells at £350 or close to it I guess it was worth it for someone but ultimately its down to how long you want to wait for a bargain. I tend to just wait until a low priced example of the type of bike I want is advertised. On face value it looks pretty good to me and not unreasonable for that money but of course I'd rather pay much less. Ultimately I buy bikes by spec rather than brand and some brands charge more from new and have higher resell values but ultimately are not actually any better than less desirable marques. I mean Specialized don't make anything, there are no Specialized factories, the are reliant on the same Asian factories as many other brands.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
If it sells at £350 or close to it I guess it was worth it for someone but ultimately its down to how long you want to wait for a bargain. I tend to just wait until a low priced example of the type of bike I want is advertised. On face value it looks pretty good to me and not unreasonable for that money but of course I'd rather pay much less. Ultimately I buy bikes by spec rather than brand and some brands charge more from new and have higher resell values but ultimately are not actually any better than less desirable marques. I mean Specialized don't make anything, there are no Specialized factories, the are reliant on the same Asian factories as many other brands.
Looks rusty around the stem bolts so I would guess the shifters are nackered and with road kit getting expensive I would suggest that's expensive

Looks rusty around the stem bolts so I would guess the shifters are nackered and with road kit getting expensive I would suggest that's expensive

I thought the seller might have used an old longer stem to extend the reach as it looks older than the rest of the bike but I only gave it a casual glance over I must admit. Such situations are always great for haggling. Always worth having a look at the bike as it could be immaculate apart from the stem but it depends how far away it is.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Could be a good buy. You really need to check it over very thoroughly. About 12-18 months old so might not have done many miles. Steerer bolts will rust quickly in a moist environment.
Look at the rims to check for excessive wear and mileage.
Are the tyre worn? Any play in the BB? Do the wheels run true with no loose spokes?
Non of these are deal breakers but you could use any to haggle a better deal.
Good luck.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are Specialized seriously charging over £1400 for an alu bike with rim brakes?! Their overcharging appears to have reached new heights! Ok it has SRAM making it superior :whistle: but still

Reactions: C R

nlmkiii

TLDR version:
Stay away. This bike will need a lot of work. It's worth probably £100 - £150 for someone to run it into the ground as a commuter. It will cost another £200+ in parts and labour to get it working even close to minimum viable condition, and that's assuming nothing is broken on it that we can't see.

Longer version:
It would be a great start into road biking if it was in great condition. An aluminium Specialized with Sora is about bang on the money! But sadly this bike looks in terrible condition. Note that this is the 2013 model, not the 2021. If you aren't experienced in knowing what to look for then buying off a definite liar is a problematic start!
(see below to see the colourway in action)

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Allez-Sport-2013-Silver-Specialized/dp/B00DQZC7YS

The drivetrain condition is vomit inducing. It's basically being lubricated by road gunk at this point, and likely has been like that for many years.
I'd say there is about a 100% chance you'll need to chuck the chain away, a 99% chance you need to chuck the cassette away, and realistically a 90% you should bin the crank cogs too (these matter less so you could get away with it... maybe)
Given it has been maintained so poorly the likelihood is you'll need to change all the gear cables too as the friction built up will ensure that you'll never get a smooth shift unless you do. I'd also change brake cables too, because safety an all that!

So £15 chain, £25 cassette, £20 cables / casing, you're already adding £60 on and that's without labour, and just sticking with the probably messed up crank cogs! Another £30-70 for cranks, or just cogs for the cranks, and probably £20 for a bottom bracket? And you won't want to fit that stuff yourself, so it's likely £50-£70 laboutr at an LBS.

This is just stuff we can see. You may find play in the headset, the bottom bracket, the braking surface on the wheels may be worn, the tyres may be beyond useful life. These things are a risk with any bike though so before buying make sure you learn how to look for these things (GCN did a good second hand buying guide about 5 years ago, definitely watch that before buying anything too and go to any second hand purchase with a checklist of checks to arm yourself with).

If you look on
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/3045025/
it suggests $219 - $360 depending on if it's broken and in need of parts, up to immaculate condition. (don't worry that the picture is blue, it's the same bike, look at the design patterns)
I'd put this one right at the bottom of that. So maybe £150? (and this is far worse value than one in excellent condition for £250... which I would advise as a great option!!!)

I would consider this bike for £150 if I wanted a commuter. I'd just clean up the drivetrain and leave all the rubbish parts on it (maybe just change chain and casette). It won't feel great, and shifting will irritate, and nothing will feel good, but this is what I want in a commuter. something I won't feel too sad about if it gets stolen!
I wouldn't advise it as something to start a road cycling journey as a hobby, it's just too far away from minimum acceptable condition.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like the seller genuinely thinks or hopes it's a 2021 model possibly due to the fact he knows nothing about the bike. Beware could be stolen. Ask for proof of ownership, if they're evasive stay well away.

Top Bottom