Is this any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frazer

Hey all,

I am currently training for the london duathlon, and today went up to Richmond Park for a trial run of the first run and bike leg. My times were 46 minutes for the running (though im pretty sure i ran a kilometre or so further than the actual race distance, i started in the wrong place, so probably closer to 42 or 43 minutes), and then 42 minutes for two full laps of the park straight after (30km/h average speed approximately). I don't have anyone to compare this to so was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is good or still needs some work?? Bearing in mind I am a reasonably fit 19-year old, who took up cycling properly about 3 months ago.

Thanks in advance for any comments

dunno about the running, but those laps on the bike were pretty good for a first time. what direction were you going?

on the day i'm guessing the roads will be closed, so you'll be able to take better lines. the stretch between kingston and ham is pretty bumpy and staying further out from the verge will be slightly faster - going towards kingston the black tarmac section is very bumpy on the 'normal' cycle line, so staying near the edge of that and the brown tarmac is smoother and faster.

good luck

L

OP
OP
F

Frazer

that was going clockwise, so going the long way around the roundabouts, but fortunately there was hardly any traffic as i approached them so I didnt need to slow down too much. I got overtaken a couple of times by some really serious looking guys, but equally overtook a few on that steep hill section so felt pretty good afterwards ;)

that's a good time for clockwise then.... i did two in 50 mins the other day, but not racing and also stopping for water at one point. i did used to be able to do 20 minute laps, but i was younger then.

if that's the direction the race will go, then get a few more goes in to get to know it better. there are a few sections of bad surface, so know where they are and keep away from them in the race.

L

skwerl

do you think direction matters when it's a circuit? Surely if you start and stop at the same point then direction shouldn't matter. The net elevation gain will be the same. Both directions have one short, nasty climb and one long not-so-nasty climb.
42 mins for two laps is pretty good. Aparently, Nirvana is 3 laps in <60 mins.

the direction does matter in that clockwise means you're more likely to have to stop at the roundabouts... and anti-clock means you can carry the speed from Broomfield hill, whereas the other direction you have to brake for the roundabout. it's only small differences, but it can make a difference.

been many years since i did 3 in under the hour. nowadays i enjoy looking at the scenery too much to race.

L

skwerl

laurence said:
the direction does matter in that clockwise means you're more likely to have to stop at the roundabouts... and anti-clock means you can carry the speed from Broomfield hill, whereas the other direction you have to brake for the roundabout. it's only small differences, but it can make a difference.

been many years since i did 3 in under the hour. nowadays i enjoy looking at the scenery too much to race.

L

ah, I see. Yes I s'pose that would make a difference. I tend to ride clockwise though the favoured route seems to be anti-clockwise. Probably because it's easier to keep moving, as you say.

and the wind direction plays a part too... the other day was a southerly, so you could carry the broomfield momentum all the way to roehampton and as the richmond to ham section is mainly downhill, being into the wind wasn't so bad.

i've started to enjoy clockwise now i'm getting more confident in my ability to get up broomfield.

L

Top Bottom