Is this bike a good choice/value

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I sold a really mint TCR Advanced 3 (Tiagra equipped, but otherwise the same bike) in the summer for about 570 in an open auction, and it had half the mileage of that one. The market is pretty bouyant admittedly, but that's not a good deal.

Mine also had a saddle upgrade (Fizik Aliante, RRP 100), Look Keo pedals with new cleats included, plus a Cateye computer thrown in, although stock wheels. So if that was 570, I'd say about 800 would be a fair price for yours. The very, very maximum I'd pay would be about 900 if I was really desperate for that exact bike.
1500 is in the realm of comedy, that was new list price in 2017 / 2018.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Cheers, everyone, very useful advice. I'll definitely ask if he wants to sell it with the stock seat or just remove it altogether - to be fair, it looks like a torture device rather than a seat. The stock should be more forgiving to my newbie bum.

Upgrades - I definitely don't plan to splash out on these separately, but if the bike comes with them, why not? On the 2017 Ultegra - I got a guy that wants to sell one sans the chain and cassette for £70 so it sounds like a good deal.

Some updates on the listing: He got the wheels in this April so they're pretty new. Will throw in Look pedals (photos were without them), 'Polar' speed sensor and a spare 11-32 cassette (brand new in box).

How do you mean it's your first bike ?
A TCR is a nice bike - I had one myself but it wasn't my first bike.
Are you in the UK ? I'd be looking at a cheaper bike with clearance for mudguards.
A carbon fibre race bike is lovely in the summer but not what I'd be choosing to ride for the next six months or so.

Wider tyres. Full mudguards. Get some riding in and you'll have more of an idea of what you like in a bike next spring.

All it would take is one slide and your TCR might be a write off.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
So what's the price now?
I actually want him to give me a number without the pedals as I already got a pair of Shimano from a recycling shop for £10. I'm not into speed or power meters personally - would rather focus on pleasure than numbers. And don't plan any climbs any time soon.

How do you mean it's your first bike ?
A TCR is a nice bike - I had one myself but it wasn't my first bike.
Are you in the UK ? I'd be looking at a cheaper bike with clearance for mudguards.
A carbon fibre race bike is lovely in the summer but not what I'd be choosing to ride for the next six months or so.

Wider tyres. Full mudguards. Get some riding in and you'll have more of an idea of what you like in a bike next spring.

All it would take is one slide and your TCR might be a write off.
Apologies, I've meant it's my first road bike. I already have a 'family cruiser' with comfy tires, mudguards and even a tagalong trailer :-D

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers, everyone, very useful advice. I'll definitely ask if he wants to sell it with the stock seat or just remove it altogether - to be fair, it looks like a torture device rather than a seat. The stock should be more forgiving to my newbie bum.

Upgrades - I definitely don't plan to splash out on these separately, but if the bike comes with them, why not? On the 2017 Ultegra - I got a guy that wants to sell one sans the chain and cassette for £70 so it sounds like a good deal.

Some updates on the listing: He got the wheels in this April so they're pretty new. Will throw in Look pedals (photos were without them), 'Polar' speed sensor and a spare 11-32 cassette (brand new in box).
He’s selling a whole carbon road bike just without chain and cassette for £70?!! Certainly compared to £1500 with :scratch:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So the shifters or the chainset and mechs too? There’s no benefit to the shifters alone over 105
indeed very true....... but as stand alone proposition, that's a keen price even if just shifters and mechs, assuming they aren't scuffed to death. A while back was sourcing a RHS 6800 to replace one that broke. Ended up with a pair off ebay, but they are difficult to source in good nick for under £100.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
So the shifters or the chainset and mechs too? There’s no benefit to the shifters alone over 105
So, just to be clear:
- There's one guy selling this TCR 2 for (originally) £1500 with the 105.
- Got another guy selling an Ultegra groupset from 2017 for £70, sans the chain and cassette. When I say 'groupset' I mean 'everything the bike needs to shift', i.e. shifters, derailleurs, cranks, etc. as well as the rim brakes - front and back. It's a friend of a friend hence the low price.

vickster

Legendary Member
So, just to be clear:
- There's one guy selling this TCR 2 for (originally) £1500 with the 105.
- Got another guy selling an Ultegra groupset from 2017 for £70, sans the chain and cassette. When I say 'groupset' I mean 'everything the bike needs to shift', i.e. shifters, derailleurs, cranks, etc. as well as the rim brakes - front and back. It's a friend of a friend hence the low price.
So you’ll swap out the 105s on the other bike if you can get at a sensible price and sell those on?

Top Bottom