Is this bike any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xPOPPABEARx

I saw this bike on my Facebook market place and talked him down due to having to travel about 8 hours round trip to pick the bike up. But it's a good price and not that bad of a bike.
View: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/378937226673576/

I talked him down to 500 since I have to travel. But I am just trying to see if this is worth it. I am also 6'3 and weigh about 270, the guy doesn't know the weight limit so I was thinking I would join a forum and get some help from more knowledgeable people.

Certainly seems to have been built up with good components. Weight limit? Specialized limits are 250lb, so you may be pushing it somewhat, but if the frame is anonymous, you've little prospect of a definitive answer. Another way toward this knowledge is to ask Fulcrum about the wheels and see if they have a limit.
And :welcome: to the forum!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Should be about the right size for you, perhaps a wee bit small. You’re 19 stone, should be able to take you just need to be checking the wheels.
It’s had eight years of use so check for wear and tear, especially the frame, look for crash damage and cracks. It’s a brand X frame so you can’t be sure of it’s integrity, but it’s survived thus far.
I’d be very wary about buying a eight year old unbranded carbon bike but if you’re happy go for it.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Welcome!

There are a couple of risks here as others have said, and you could find your journey wasted.

For me the biggest risk would be that the bike has damage to the frame that is not visible in the photos. A crack might not show up in photos on a black frame.
I'd also be concerned at a bike that has been for sale for 20 weeks at a time of a worldwide bicycle shortage. What put off other buyers?

Having said that the components alone are probably worth somewhere near $500 if they are in good condition.

Good luck whatever you do!

OP
OP
X

xPOPPABEARx

Certainly seems to have been built up with good components. Weight limit? Specialized limits are 250lb, so you may be pushing it somewhat, but if the frame is anonymous, you've little prospect of a definitive answer. Another way toward this knowledge is to ask Fulcrum about the wheels and see if they have a limit.
And :welcome: to the forum!

Okay I did some research and the site said they can hold 120kg (240) but can go heavier but need to be inspected and trued more often by a shop.
Thank you.

OP
OP
X

xPOPPABEARx

Should be about the right size for you, perhaps a wee bit small. You’re 19 stone, should be able to take you just need to be checking the wheels.
It’s had eight years of use so check for wear and tear, especially the frame, look for crash damage and cracks. It’s a brand X frame so you can’t be sure of it’s integrity, but it’s survived thus far.
I’d be very wary about buying a eight year old unbranded carbon bike but if you’re happy go for it.

That's what I was scared of as well, I can fit 58 but I just sold my trek and it fit perfectly at 61cm. So I know it'll be a tad smaller but for the price I could resell here locally for something my size if need be.
The wheels site said they can hold 120kg (240) maybe heavier but needs to be inspected and trued more often than usual by a shop.
That was also a big concern seeing how it's been up for 5 months and why no one jumped on the bike for the price.

OP
OP
X

xPOPPABEARx

Welcome!

There are a couple of risks here as others have said, and you could find your journey wasted.

For me the biggest risk would be that the bike has damage to the frame that is not visible in the photos. A crack might not show up in photos on a black frame.
I'd also be concerned at a bike that has been for sale for 20 weeks at a time of a worldwide bicycle shortage. What put off other buyers?

Having said that the components alone are probably worth somewhere near $500 if they are in good condition.

Good luck whatever you do!

That's what I am always scared of is a crack I can't see or a coverup of a crack or damage and I'll be riding and it'll just snap.
That's also a huge concern of mine is the bike being so cheap with good components and not selling for over 5 months.
I was also thinking if anything we're wrong with it I could part out the bike for a new bike or just buy a frame and have extras lying around to build it up with the parts on this.
I'm thinking hard on this before making a small road trip with my family.
Thank you.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That's what I am always scared of is a crack I can't see or a coverup of a crack or damage and I'll be riding and it'll just snap.
That's also a huge concern of mine is the bike being so cheap with good components and not selling for over 5 months.
I was also thinking if anything we're wrong with it I could part out the bike for a new bike or just buy a frame and have extras lying around to build it up with the parts on this.
I'm thinking hard on this before making a small road trip with my family.
Thank you.
You seem full of doubts about this bike yet are preparing for an eight hour trip to view the bike.

Personally I wouldn't bother for an eight year old bike from someone you don't know. By travelling so far you're putting yourself under pressure to buy as you won't want to return empty handed.

I would stay at home.

OP
OP
X

xPOPPABEARx

You seem full of doubts about this bike yet are preparing for an eight hour trip to view the bike.

Personally I wouldn't bother for an eight year old bike from someone you don't know. By travelling so far you're putting yourself under pressure to buy as you won't want to return empty handed.

I would stay at home.

That was my main doubt, I'd feel obligated to buy even if it wasn't what I wanted cause I don't want to make the trip for nothing. It scared me off, ones the universe obviously had different plans cause our van just happened to get an oil leak when we were leaving to go down to get it. So I told him sorry but I had to pass due to the van. So I'm just looking locally, just hard to find my size around where I live.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That was my main doubt, I'd feel obligated to buy even if it wasn't what I wanted cause I don't want to make the trip for nothing. It scared me off, ones the universe obviously had different plans cause our van just happened to get an oil leak when we were leaving to go down to get it. So I told him sorry but I had to pass due to the van. So I'm just looking locally, just hard to find my size around where I live.
Sorry to read about your van but I think the fates have conspired in your favour. You may well have bought a bike you didn't really want.

Slightly cheaper thing but I recently bought a top tube bag. It's really nice, I like it and don't want to return it. I also know it doesn't really fit my bike, will irritate me and after a few rides I'll chuck it in the cupboard.

I'm having the most ridiculously hard time persuading myself to return it to Wiggle! :laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would steer well clear of any secondhand carbon frame personally. I wouldn't mind betting that a carbon is way more likely to have been crashed than a steel as well, because carbons are usually bought new by riders who have some aspiration to ride fast, whereas most steel owners simply don't give a shoot about speed and just ride for the fresh air and scenery. Which type of bike is most likely to have gone sliding across a gravel-strewn bend in the road at the bottom of a descent or ended up in a pile of somersaulted bikes after one close-packed club rider has taken a few of his group out?

Lovacott

Über Member
I saw this bike on my Facebook market place and talked him down due to having to travel about 8 hours round trip to pick the bike up. But it's a good price and not that bad of a bike.
I talked him down to 500 since I have to travel. But I am just trying to see if this is worth it. I am also 6'3 and weigh about 270, the guy doesn't know the weight limit so I was thinking I would join a forum and get some help from more knowledgeable people.
Do yourself a favour and look up the cost of replacement drivetrain parts.

Assume that either the drive train will need to be replaced today or six months from today.

The crankset alone will set you back north of £350 and a replacement cassette would be up around the £80 or £90 mark.

Lovacott

Über Member
I would steer well clear of any secondhand carbon frame personally. I wouldn't mind betting that a carbon is way more likely to have been crashed than a steel as well.

I work with steel and it's pretty much impossible to notice a potentially fatal fracture with the naked eye.

When steel fails, it goes from one piece into two without any warning.

Carbon fibre is exactly what it says it is. It's carbon fibre bound with resins and it doesn't snap like a bit of rigid steel.

It has the ability to take up road shocks without the minor fractures which accumulate in steel over the years.

Top Bottom