1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this bike suitable for my daily commute?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by bernieUK, 12 Apr 2008.

1. bernieUK

bernieUK Über Member

Good evening all

For quite some time I have been riding a trusty old singlespeed Langster for my daily commute of around 6 miles to and back. I have been thinking of getting a new bike. A work colleague is offering his bike to me at what seems to be a very good price. It is hardly used and, from what little I know, it appears to be more a road/racing bike. The "approx" spec is as follows:

Time VX EDGE Carbon Frame

Groupset-Campagnolo Centaur 10 speed

Mavic/centaur Custom Built wheels

And various other carbon bits.

I feel as though it all a bit too fancy for me but the bike does look a cracker. So, would something like this being used for a daily commute be a waste? I would appreciate your opinions.

Peace!

2. Plax

Plax Veteran

If it's a good price and affordable for your budget, given the specification I'd go for it. You could always make your commute a little bit longer!

3. MER Veteran

MER Veteran New Member

Have you got a picture of it dude?

I bought a dawes audax 2006 and 2007 for that matter and it's been one of the best most reliable bikes I have ever had.

[​IMG]

Is this it?

I had a Cannondale a few years back but I didn't really think it was brilliantly suited to commuting.

4. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

definitely , get it

5. simoncc

simoncc New Member

Yeah, get it and get out and ride it. It's a great bike. Buy something more suitable for your commute though.

6. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

lol!!!

7. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole,.................................... but could you please give me the contact details of your work colleague;)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. RedBike

RedBike New Member

Sadly mud-guards and panniers are often required on a bike used for commuting. You'll struggle to get either on that.

9. gavintc

gavintc Guru

For a 6 mile commute it is a little over the top and if you are locking it up in a public space every day there is a danger it will be targeted. As simon has implied, buy it for cycling, but buy a better option for commuting. Personally, I use a winter bike for my commute. If it disappeared one day, it would be sad, but replacing it would not cost me a fortune.

10. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

IMO for year-round commuting, it's a bit impractical - and maybe a bit of a waste of specs. Something a bit more rugged that can at least take full length mudguards would be better.

11. MER Veteran

MER Veteran New Member

Same thing all very wll.

I found the Cannondale didn't have a lot of clearance for the back wheel and also it was hard to fit mudguards on.Few other niggles as well but as it wasn't really designed as a commuting bike and I did actually buy it to use on the 1999 London - Brighton that probably explains it.

12. mlg_gsb

mlg_gsb New Member

Bike for Commute

Hi All,

What sort of bike do you guys recomend for a commute of 6 or so miles then?

I'm looking into getting a bike but am a bit confused as their seems to be so much on offer. I'd like a road bike for the speed, a trek bike for its comfort, and a hybrid for its ease of use. Are road racers completely impractical? I'd also like to get something I could use for semi long distance, cross country leisure cycles.

I'm also looking to get my bike s/e so have been looking at old school racers. Also the Trek 6100 range.

It's probably 6 or some and half a dozen of the other but what woul your recommendation be for the type of bike a first timer (first time commuting, not cycling!) should look at getting for an inner city commute.

Any help gratefully received.