Is this bike suitable for my daily commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good evening all

For quite some time I have been riding a trusty old singlespeed Langster for my daily commute of around 6 miles to and back. I have been thinking of getting a new bike. A work colleague is offering his bike to me at what seems to be a very good price. It is hardly used and, from what little I know, it appears to be more a road/racing bike. The "approx" spec is as follows:

Time VX EDGE Carbon Frame

Groupset-Campagnolo Centaur 10 speed

Mavic/centaur Custom Built wheels

And various other carbon bits.

I feel as though it all a bit too fancy for me but the bike does look a cracker. So, would something like this being used for a daily commute be a waste? I would appreciate your opinions.

Peace!

Plax

Guru
If it's a good price and affordable for your budget, given the specification I'd go for it. You could always make your commute a little bit longer!

MER Veteran

Have you got a picture of it dude?

I bought a dawes audax 2006 and 2007 for that matter and it's been one of the best most reliable bikes I have ever had.

time_edge_ultegra102s.jpg

Is this it?

I had a Cannondale a few years back but I didn't really think it was brilliantly suited to commuting.

Keith Oates

Janner
I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole,.................................... but could you please give me the contact details of your work colleague;)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gavintc

Guru
For a 6 mile commute it is a little over the top and if you are locking it up in a public space every day there is a danger it will be targeted. As simon has implied, buy it for cycling, but buy a better option for commuting. Personally, I use a winter bike for my commute. If it disappeared one day, it would be sad, but replacing it would not cost me a fortune.

MER Veteran

Same thing all very wll.

I found the Cannondale didn't have a lot of clearance for the back wheel and also it was hard to fit mudguards on.Few other niggles as well but as it wasn't really designed as a commuting bike and I did actually buy it to use on the 1999 London - Brighton that probably explains it.

mlg_gsb

Bike for Commute

Hi All,

What sort of bike do you guys recomend for a commute of 6 or so miles then?

I'm looking into getting a bike but am a bit confused as their seems to be so much on offer. I'd like a road bike for the speed, a trek bike for its comfort, and a hybrid for its ease of use. Are road racers completely impractical? I'd also like to get something I could use for semi long distance, cross country leisure cycles.

I'm also looking to get my bike s/e so have been looking at old school racers. Also the Trek 6100 range.

It's probably 6 or some and half a dozen of the other but what woul your recommendation be for the type of bike a first timer (first time commuting, not cycling!) should look at getting for an inner city commute.

Any help gratefully received.

Top Bottom