Is this Carbon fork scrap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Mrs Tenkaykev has several bikes including this Scott. It’s been on the turbo since lockdown and previously has been in the shed as her spare bike. I took it off the turbo yesterday and was giving it a once over when I noticed damage to the front fork. Looking at it I’m sure that’s terminal?

battered

Guru
I wouldn't ride that.

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
It's probably best to keep it as a bike for the turbo trainer as I'm sure that there's very little strain when the front wheel is resting in a riser. Mr's Tenkaykev expressed an interest in taking it out on the road after I took it off the trainer yesterday, and it was only when pumping up the tyres that I noticed the damage / flaking.
It's in the bike shed at the moment and I will attach a warning label in case one of the family want to borrow a bike.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
@Tenkaykev are you sure it’s a Scott?
I thought Specialized owned the ‘Damping Zertz’ tech?
If it’s a Specialized and you’ve owned the bike from new then take it back to a dealer and have the fork replaced as it should have a lifetime warranty.

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
@Tenkaykev are you sure it’s a Scott?
I thought Specialized owned the ‘Damping Zertz’ tech?
If it’s a Specialized and you’ve owned the bike from new then take it back to a dealer and have the fork replaced as it should have a lifetime warranty.

:sad: My humble apologies. I went down the shed to take some more photo's and it is indeed a Specialized Sirrus. My only explanation is that last week I spruced up, and fitted a child seat to ( yet another ) one of my wife's bikes, this was the Scott and the name must have stuck in my head. The mystery deepens, yesterday when I was inspecting the flaw, I rubbed it with a fingernail and could feel the roughness. The photo I took this morning shows very little damage, I'm a bit flummoxed as the damage appears far less.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
:sad: My humble apologies. I went down the shed to take some more photo's and it is indeed a Specialized Sirrus. My only explanation is that last week I spruced up, and fitted a child seat to ( yet another ) one of my wife's bikes, this was the Scott and the name must have stuck in my head. The mystery deepens, yesterday when I was inspecting the flaw, I rubbed it with a fingernail and could feel the roughness. The photo I took this morning shows very little damage, I'm a bit flummoxed as the damage appears far less.

View attachment 591794

View attachment 591795

View attachment 591796
Must check my Vita and older Ruby as they both have the Zertz inserts.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

View attachment 591794

View attachment 591795

View attachment 591796
That looks better than the first pic, I would happily ride with that fork, slight scrape that’s all👍

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think it would be useful to have an image of the other fork blade so comparison could be made, for assurance.
(Quality photos, OP!)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
assuming the "crack" above the orange line I've drawn is part of the construction, it looks it from the later photo's but looked well dodgy in the first one, then it appears to be a scuff. just shows that looking a photos with reflections etc is not a good way to diagnose things!

1622630807559.png

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
assuming the "crack" above the orange line I've drawn is part of the construction, it looks it from the later photo's but looked well dodgy in the first one, then it appears to be a scuff. just shows that looking a photos with reflections etc is not a good way to diagnose things!

View attachment 591803
Yes, that area that you have highlighted is a curve in the moulding where it narrows slightly. I'm adding a couple of photo's of the other fork.

Top Bottom