Is this Chain Set Normal?! Photos attached.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Destry

Ramping does look very odd the first time you insepct it, but the first two photos show cracks -- I can't see how they could be manufactured like that, or how they would assist shifting, given that they are deep in the gullies between the teeth.

I thought we were all bike anoraks? I know I am!

Tom

But they don't show cracks, they show where material has been deliberately manipulated to form a rudimentary and effective shift ramp on a cheap chain-set. Because it is a massed produced product the shape of the chain-set in question is identical to every other chain-set which has rolled out of the machine which produced it. It might not be pretty but it does the job it was designed to do.

The enthusiasm with which Giant and Wiggle have agreed to warranty this imagined problem doesn't indicate that there is a fault with the product, it's simply less costly for them to send out a new chain-set than to enter in to a protracted dispute.

Destry

Well, mass production doesn't guarantee anything... Machines go wrong, get old, are badly set up, materials have flaws etc etc.

As I said, ramping does look odd when you firsat clap eyes on it... But if it works, it works.

Cheers,

Tom

Destry

I think what Shimano have done with bike gears over the few decades is astonishing. Shifting a chain across a block of ten cogs requires huge precision, and heaving it on and off chainrings that are such different sizes requires a lot of ingenuity. Yet in my experience you can fit even the cheapest Shimano gears and once properly set up they will carry on working for years with just a regular lube to keep them sweet.

The only drivetrain bits that have ever actually broken on me are freewheels, which for some reason I seem to be heavy on. Of course if you thrash your kit doing mountain bike racing and suchlike you will get breakages, but that's inevitable.

Fair play to Shimano, they serve us well.

Tom

Mr Pig

My new bike has tiny little plates riveted to the big (Shimano) chainwheel just under the teeth. I've not worked out what they do yet as at first glance they look to low to even touch the chain.

jashburnham

Bleurgh - Taiwanese cr@p. :blush:

Not trying to offend but you pays ya money...

Destry

Yes, of course you can buy better if you want to spend the money -- I guess what I am saying is that bog-standard Shimano is great value for money, in the same way that a Nissan Micra is great value for money. You can buy a Rolls Royce and get a better car, but it isn't such good value.

Fancy bike!

Tom

Top Bottom