Is this damaged tyre safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SheilaH

I wouldn't use it except to get home, especially as some of the casing appears to be damaged.

Some of the comments are rather apocalyptic. I have had blow-outs, even at speed, and never felt the urge to fling myself on to the road as a result.

Try one on the front when descending at speed.

You might not get a say in whether you end up using your face as a brake. I didn't.

At your age you shouldn't be quite so blase about the longterm effects of injury. :whistle:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Try one on the front when descending at speed.
Been there. done that (at least twice)

At your age you shouldn't be quite so blase about the longterm effects of injury. :whistle:
^_^:blush:^_^ Yes, Dad.

The OP must have got the general consensus by now. I have had a low speed rear blowout clipped in in traffic and very nearly come a cropper.
BIN BIN and thrice BIN :okay:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Bin IMHO.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Useless as a tyre but don't forget the many workshop uses of rubber rings:
  • Suspension slings for bikes or parts under repair.
  • Use cut sections to protect frames from tool damage during maintenance.
  • Keep a 5cm section with your spare inner tube as a get-you-home cover liner after a disastrous blow-out.
  • ±7cm sections make good battery holders that prevent the terminals from discharging accidentally.
  • ±35cm section as a chain-stay protector during chain changing and maintenance.
  • Anti-bang dampers on bike-shed doors.
You get the idea…

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Hit it with a lump hammer a few times. That should fix it.

The worst that could happen is you end up twisted around the axles of a Hermes Lorry....

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I'm struggling to see how you would easily cut such a thing from a clincher tyre.
Tin snips make pretty short work of it. The wrap-round is enough to contain larger batteries.

Top Bottom