Is this electrical fault diagnosis correct?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
It's probably a slightly larger current then, when I swapped the MCBs it took 3-4 hours to trip.

I don't want external cabeling so replacing the circuit means chiselling out plaster (by an approved contractor just in case it contains asbestos), replastering the walls and redecorating. I think I'll just leave this heater turned off until my next round of major maintenance.

Thanks for everybody's help.

oh looks like somebody has spotted a cashcow ready to be milked.

a good spark will be able to trace the fault to its exact point and effect a repair.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I thought the only 'plaster' you had to be (potentially) careful with for asbestos was the textured stuff used to artex ceilings?

subaqua

What’s the point
I thought the only 'plaster' you had to be (potentially) careful with for asbestos was the textured stuff used to artex ceilings?

Yes , and only after a certain date, however you can't easily date it and there is nothing to say old stock wasn't used. ( who woulda thunk builders might be a bit dodgy eh)

There are some control measures and the ppm are very very low , but still more than I care to expose my lungs to. Normal plaster on walls is not hazardous waste so don't get fooled into paying for hazardous waste removal.

Plasterboard needs to be separated and disposed of correctly, any legit contractor will have this squared away.

Old horse hair plaster can harbour anthrax spores however if basic PPE is worn as should be , then the risk is negligible.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
If anybody is still interested then it turned out to be the circuit.
The electrician replaced it with external cabling at ground level. It cost half an hour's labour plus the bits.
The storage heater is working fine now.

I'm still curious how a dodgy circuit could take up to 30 minutes to trip the breaker?

Top Bottom