Is this mahogany?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Thanks! I can report with authority!

What d'you think? Bit of paint-stripper & then varnish?
Won't somebody think of the children patina! :ohmy:

Thanks! I can report with authority!

What d'you think? Bit of paint-stripper & then varnish?
Before you use paint stripper may l suggest fine steel wool and meths. Be very gentle (no scrubbing) just dip the steel wool in a dish of meths (don't pour the spirit directly onto the surface) then light circular movement of the wool. You will probably find that the surface becomes sticky , just add a bit more meths and carry on. If it has a polyurethane type finish the surface won't melt . That's stage one , give it a try and see how you get on , this is a slow process but worth it ( thats why furniture restoration is expensive)^_^

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Waiting for the camera to pan back on an eighteenth century writing bureau with cabriole legs and gilded fittings....and. No. That will come up a treat with lots of patience and some wire wool. Synthetic turpentine will help remove a wax finish. If you’re happy with the wood colour at the end, Osmo Polyx oil is the best I’ve used on furniture. They also do tinted finishes. I’m not a fan of a hard varnish finish, but it’s all personal choice.

Certainly a useable piece of furniture. :okay:

I'd remove the varnish, sand to a smooth finish with progressively finer paper or wire wool, then just apply some good old fashioned beeswax floor polish - the stuff that comes in the screw-top pots. Several light coats are better than one thick one. Requires a bit of elbow grease, but it's worthwhile.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks very much for the restoration tips. I'll moot them with mini munchkin and see what she reckons. Thinking about it, she's - how shall I put this - on the artistic/impulsive/scatty rather than the buttoned-down and sensible end of the scale, so it might be worth waiting a while to see how well she looks after it, if at all. Be a bugger to spend hours returning it to perfection only for her to start decorating it with coffee cup rings. I'll have a think. But in the meantime, I told her it was definitely mahogany and she was definitely pleased, so that's the main thing. Thanks again all.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I wouldn't use 'wire wool' on any hardwood furniture, it is likely to stain it (microscopic particles of Iron get into the grain) I would sand it using 'garnet' (aluminium oxide) paper, no more than 120 grit then 180 and finally 240/400 and using a rubber/cork block. this will take some effort but will give far more control over the stripping process and leave some of the original varnish in the grain to act as a 'grainfiller'. likewise I'd avoid polyurethane 'varnish' to finish it much prefering a more traditional spirit based formulation thinned down with white spirit/turpentine at about a 60-40 % dilution (Varnish as bought is too thick/gloopy) using several thin coats 'denibbed' when each coat is suitably hardened.

A lot of work but then I am a Cabinet Maker

Thanks very much for the restoration tips. I'll moot them with mini munchkin and see what she reckons. Thinking about it, she's - how shall I put this - on the artistic/impulsive/scatty rather than the buttoned-down and sensible end of the scale, so it might be worth waiting a while to see how well she looks after it, if at all. Be a bugger to spend hours returning it to perfection only for her to start decorating it with coffee cup rings. I'll have a think. But in the meantime, I told her it was definitely mahogany and she was definitely pleased, so that's the main thing. Thanks again all.
Good show, there's a career in diplomacy waiting for you ^_^

Top Bottom