Is this right? *how to turn on a bike*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
And walking is simply a matter of controlled falling forward. If you didn't stick one foot ahead of the other you'd fall flat on your face because you're off balance. Or drunk.

HovR

Über Member
They aren't wrong. Countersteering is more or less involuntary. We do it without realising it. I rode motorbikes until my mid 30,s and occasionally did it consciously to throw the bike into a tight bend at speed. The first time i rode a quad made me realise I was nudging the left bar to turn left. I don't get the turn even further left to put it back upright again though.

+1 to that. It's the only real way to steer a 2 wheeled vehicle, and we do it without even realizing.

Moving the bars a very small amount to the left initiates a right-wards lean, making the bike steer right. However if you were to keep the handlebars pointing to the left, the bike would keep on leaning rightwards, and you would fall over to the right.

To prevent this, we automatically move the bars to the right (the way we want to turn) after we have initiated the lean. The bars remain in this position until we want to exit the corner, which is why it is commonly believed that you simply steer the bars right to turn right.

The affects of counter steering are far more obvious above 20mph, as below this the bike is more unstable, and hence needs less counter steering action to initiate the lean. The need for counter steering also more obvious when performing quick, sharp turns, as opposed to long sweeping bends.

Whilst we tend to do this involuntary, it is a good skill to learn to do consciously, and can come in useful when you need to swerve suddenly to avoid an object (pothole, car, etc).

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Since reading this thread, the matter is constantly on my mind when i'm riding. Watching for others doing it and trying to notice if I do it without thinking about it, which of course is bloody impossible. Tonight, I stood outside my local chippy, waiting for a nice bit of cod to be cooked, and as I watched the friday freak show of boy racers doing laps of the one way system, EVERY SINGLE ONE on EVERY SINGLE LAP did the 'countersteering dance' Its wierd that its SOOOOO common, but goes un-noticed by everyone, even those doing it. I can only compare it to breathing, or blinking. Its just godda be done. I hope that the next time I get on my bike I can at last, stop thinking about it. BUT, next time I get taken anywhere by car, (I dont drive myself ) I'LL BE WATCHIN HaHaHa:laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A while back I read in the Falmouth Packet (oooh errrgh) that someone was up before the beak for pleasuring his bike in the moat of Pendennis Castle.

I may have imagined that, but I think it could be true.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, as others have written, countersteering is what most cyclists do to unbalance the bike and initiate a turn. The other way is simply to lean and allow the bike to follow.

Countersteering is also used in avoidance steering; if you are riding in a straight line along a very narrow track and you need to avoid a rock for example you will steer your wheels around it knowing that you are initiating a turn while wanting to keep in a straight line. The successful outcome of this depends on there being enough space after the rock for the exaggerated steering you will need to recover because you've just sacrificed balance to avoid the rock.

Nebulous

Guru
Psychologists talk about something called (if I'm remembering correctly) 'unconscious competence.' Thats where I want to be. Being on the bike means far more to me than bothering my head about which direction to turn the handlebars. Ride the bike, test your limits a wee bit and it just happens.

As an example of that - as a youngster I was pretty cautious on a bike. My friends did all these skid turns. I didn't, partly because I had a big 'old man's' bike, partly because I was scared I would fall off and partly because I was worried about what it would do to my tyres. Possibly the main reason was that I never rode it enough to become good enough.

Since returning to cycling almost 2 years ago now I've had no accidents, apart from clipless moments, but have had several near misses. At least 2 of these involved spectacular evasive manoeuvres, with some skidding, one ending up at right angles to where I started, but without falling off. Now I don't have a clue what I did, but I was just ridiculously pleased to be alive, and somewhat surprised at what I had managed to do.It certainly didn't involve thinking things through, it was all intuitive, built on practice. It also gives me a bit of confidence in my own ability in a tight spot.

Globalti

Legendary Member
*Touches wood*

After 20 years of mountain biking I feel pretty confident in bike handling; the only crashes I've had are very many low-speed tumbles, usually into grass or bushes (once into brambles, from which I had to be extricated by club mates helpless with mirth) and one fast and sudden fall on ice.

So far in 3 years of road riding I haven't had a serious fall though I'm waiting....

Top Bottom