Is this right.?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I was told be a L.B.S that it is quite common when changing from the small front gear set to the middle one you often have to override the lever ie push a bit further till it engages.
The trigger levers are sram.
All the other gears just fall into place its just as i say going from the smallest to the middle one.
He told me 99% of bikes do this its no real problem when you get use to it.:scratch:

robjh

Legendary Member
I assume you mean pulling the front derailleur a bit further over to the right until the chain engages on the middle ring, then releasing it back a bit to the running position in line with the ring. This is certainly true in my experience, with a range of different Shimano triples. It's no problem and becomes second nature.

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I assume you mean pulling the front derailleur a bit further over to the right until the chain engages on the middle ring, then releasing it back a bit to the running position in line with the ring. This is certainly true in my experience, with a range of different Shimano triples. It's no problem and becomes second nature.
Yes thats exactly what i am getting probably me just being picky as i like things to work as they should.
All the other gears are fine and most of my cycling is done using the middle chaining.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep that's how my SRAM set ups work, road and hybrid. Albeit they are all 50/34 compact doubles

It is working as it is designed to work, ie as it should ;)

If you don't, like it, change it to a different system that doesn't need the trim, if such exists

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Yep that's how my SRAM set ups work, road and hybrid. Albeit they are all 50/34 compact doubles

It is working as it is designed to work, ie as it should ;)

If you don't, like it, change it to a different system that doesn't need the trim, if such exists

Not had a Sram set up before.
Went out this evening and as said soon becomes second nature.
I wasn't sure if this was right but the chap at the L.B.S. obviously knew what he was saying took him about 2 mins to set the gears up.

The problem i was originally getting was the front chain ring wouldn't go from the large cog to the middle one without going right down to the smallest then up again which i knew wasn't right. :headshake:

Top Bottom