Is this Risky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I know Pros do it but lets face it they are pros.
My question is...
Is sprinting while on the drop bars risky?

I did try it and found well, the bike sways a bit and it feels awkward. I am a noob though so this could just be something I have to practice etc.
What are your thoughts?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
To someone that can control their bicycle. No.

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy

Thanks, thats just what i needed to see.:unsure:
Although one of the comments says his chain locked up.... not sure about that one. It looks like the sway was too great and the wheels lost grip or gravity said" hay you stop that" and threw him off.

Reactions: gaz

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Not at all.
I know Pros do it but lets face it they are pros.
My question is...
Is sprinting while on the drop bars risky?

I did try it and found well, the bike sways a bit and it feels awkward. I am a noob though so this could just be something I have to practice etc.
What are your thoughts?

sidevalve

Über Member
No, but it does depend where you are at the time. Just remember other people use the road as well as you and it is just as much your responsibility to keep out of their way as it is their's to keep out of yours, [not to mention potholes]. Racing isn't illegal on public roads for no reason. Have a good blast by all means, just pick your time and place and if you're not sure, be carefull.

Kookas

Über Member
It's just about getting used to it. Controlling the bike in the drops is different to controlling it on the hoods. It's like when you switch from one bike to another and the steering feels twitchy for a bit but eventually you're slaloming like a pro.

Find some quiet, straight roads and practise bike handling in the drops for a bit. (I wouldn't recommend trying to slalom in the drops, though.)

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have done it plenty of times when it has been particularly windy or I needed a boost of speed. Yes you wobble about quite a lot but you need to be in full control of the bike.

Top Bottom