Is this technically a RLJ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

I saw a cyclist today go through the red lights at a busy cross roads. He was close to the curb ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE of the road.

Technically he didn't cross the stop line at the red lights. I couldn't believe my eyes and nor could the traffic coming against him. There was a community police officer standing on the pavement as he passed by but he was talking to somebody and had his back to the cyclist.

Its certainly the most daring RLJ I've ever seen.

Alun

Guru
I saw a cyclist today go through the red lights at a busy cross roads. He was close to the curb ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE of the road.

Technically he didn't cross the stop line at the red lights. I couldn't believe my eyes and nor could the traffic coming against him. There was a community police officer standing on the pavement as he passed by but he was talking to somebody and had his back to the cyclist.

Its certainly the most daring RLJ I've ever seen.
I don't think you have to cross the stop line for it to be an offence, I think going past the red light itself is sufficient. It doesn't sound like he's long for this world.

trampyjoe

I had one today (and I'm sure he was wearing a helmet cam), waiting at one of them crossing things as the shared use crossed the road. My light changed to green and this other cyclist comes up the road and through the red light, narrowly missing my trailer, and onto the (non shared use) footpath.
twat.

OP
OP
P

Pauluk

Alun said:
I don't think you have to cross the stop line for it to be an offence, I think going past the red light itself is sufficient. It doesn't sound like he's long for this world.

I think he may have committed at least 2 offenses. RLJ and riding on the wrong side of the road.

Alun

Guru
The offence is going past the stop line. You can go past the stop line, without going past the red light, and be guilty of the offence.
Are you saying that failure to stop at temporary traffic lights on red, eg at roadworks, is not an offence as no stop line has been crossed?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Are you saying that failure to stop at temporary traffic lights on red, eg at roadworks, is not an offence as no stop line has been crossed?
I haven't reread the tsrgd recently to check, but iirc if there's no line it's assumed to be where the light itself is

Tynan

Veteran
see it all the time, they use the wrong side because it's clear and shorterns the junction if they're turning right

i doubt it makes the act of jumping the light any more dangerous, 99.9% oflight jumping is dully boringly safe

trampyjoe

see it all the time, they use the wrong side because it's clear and shorterns the junction if they're turning right

i doubt it makes the act of jumping the light any more dangerous, 99.9% oflight jumping is dully boringly safe
oh that's ok then. I'm sure 99% or burglary is dully boringly safe too so we'll let them do that too eh? Speeding too, not to mention using a mobile sat at lights ..

You see where I'm going?

Tynan

Veteran
not really

it was a plain statement of fact, just because you don;t like it is no reason to get arsey with me

Davidsw8

There was a community police officer standing on the pavement as he passed by but he was talking to somebody and had his back to the cyclist.

I've seen cyclists RLJ in full view of police many a time and they've done nothing. Maybe too much paperwork?

Top Bottom