Is this the best new bike i can get for £200?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably yes. Looks ideal for your uses.
Go to a branch and have a sit on one to confirm what size you needed. Looks to be available in all sizes in the nice bright blue

a.twiddler

Veteran
Hope that's not part of the warranty, "But Sir, you've been exceeding 20 km!" It's quite easy to go further than that if it's nice to ride. Fine day, feeling good. It won't turn into a pumpkin if you exceed that arbitrary distance. Do their shorts disintegrate if you exceed the recommended distance? I seriously doubt it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Should serve you well but as I said previously the tyres aren't going to be very puncture resistant so be sure to carry a spare inner tube, tyre levers and spanner 👍

Chris S

Legendary Member
I want to use this bike for riding around the city and casually in parks
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/hybrid-bike-riverside-120-grey-2021/_/R-p-300806?mc=8405304&c=GREY

These bikes are absolute junk. Even Decathlon admit it.

Thank you for posting a review of this bike. Indeed it is not intended for daily use. We would recommend moving up tot he 120 model which as upgraded and more durable parts throughout. The wheels, gearing, hubs, bars, bottom bracket and brakes are much more long lasting.
Regards,
Peter, Cycling Manager, DECATHLON

https://www.decathlon.com.gh/hybrid...ide-100-hybrid-bike-black.html?reviews_note=2

OP
OP
S

siege

Thank you for posting a review of this bike. Indeed it is not intended for daily use. We would recommend moving up tot he 120 model which as upgraded and more durable parts throughout. The wheels, gearing, hubs, bars, bottom bracket and brakes are much more long lasting.
Regards,

https://www.decathlon.com.gh/hybrid...ide-100-hybrid-bike-black.html?reviews_note=2

aren't they talking about a different model?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You're really between the devil and the deep blue sea at that price point. The alternative if buying new is Halfords Apollo which is similarly junk but might do you untill you can afford to upgrade.

si_c

Guru
Looks good to me, for the money you aren't going to get any better, and it doesn't have ridiculous suspension forks which are common at that price.

Keep it cleaned and learn how to maintain it (lubricate drivetrain and adjust brakes mainly) and it'll do you well. I wouldn't worry about the comments above about not being durable, that's a maintenance issue not a problem with the equipment.

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran
You're right. The 120 is an upgraded version of the 100.

Well in the response you quote, they do suggest moving "up" to the 120 - which is the one the OP is asking about.

And they do say it has "upgraded and more durable parts throughout. The wheels, gearing, hubs, bars, bottom bracket and brakes are much more long lasting".

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
At the end of the day you get what you pay for. Having said that, When I retired in 2010, I bought a Barrosa Monaco for £129.99. It was exactly as you would expect from a bike in that price range, heavy and fitted with cheap components. During the next 6 rears or so I covered something in the region of 20,000 miles with a few long distance camping tours thrown in. It wasn't a good bike but I certainly had a lot of pleasure from it. My advice for what it's worth is that if your budget dictates a low end bike, the one you are considering will certainly do the job, but you would possibly find a better bike for the same price if you look for a used bike.

(Check out www.bootsbikesandbeer.weebly.com)

Barrosa Monaco AKA The Zimmer (4).JPG

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO

Regards,

The link is to the 120...

@siege - you're very much at the lower end of the market here, and there's nothing wrong with that. All components wear out at some point, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with cheap and cheerful as long as you keep things clean and store the bike sensibly you'll be absolutely fine.

Top Bottom