Is this tyre dead?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Superficial cosmetic damage, or dangerous exposed casing?

Attachments

• IMG_2205.jpeg
    IMG_2205.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 81

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks like it to me. I wouldn't trust it.
Perhaps go back to where you purchased it and ask for refund or replacement. I would.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK, I'm no expert, but it looks to me worryingly similar to tyres I've seen that were about separate from the bead and get a blow out.

Could just be superficial and look similar though.

I'd also wonder how it happened. Is something rubbing somewhere? I think those are disc wheels aren't they (I can't see a braking track) so it's not the usual suspect of wrongly adjusted rim brakes. Have you had a deflation and briefly squashed the tyre carcass with the rims at some time or something like that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Have you had a deflation and briefly squashed the tyre carcass with the rims at some time or something like that?

It's been deflated for about a month (puncture halfway through a trip and then again while limping into Crianlarich station to get home) so that's probably what it is. Will replace it, I've had an exchange on a defective tyre before but this is probably my fault due to how I treated it so okay with paying for a replacement. Overall they've been much more durable than the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance or whatever I had before, far fewer punctures for the same number of miles/terrain.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yes; looks like it's started fail around the bead (likely due to under-inflation) and has failed more in that area. A blowout's probably not far away if you continue to use it..

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Superficial cosmetic damage, or dangerous exposed casing?

Nice game of "sidewall roulette" to be had with that! Make sure you have a good dentist..

Top Bottom