Is this up to the job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
image.jpeg image.jpeg I did my first mini tour last year around Arran and other isles on a aluminium road bike, 5 days in total.

Rather stupidly I sold that bike even though it performed ok, but it only had 25mm tyres and a normal compact chainset. I had two panniers, bar bag and other stuff on my carrier.

I want to do something similar this year 99% sure it will be the outer Hebrides. I don't want to buy an out and out touring bike as I'm never going to be a hardcore tourer and will probably only ever do one tour a year. I'd like to use it for other tasks as well the rest of the time, particularly when the weather is bad.
I'm rather taken by this, seems a reasonable price as well, it is marketed as an adventure and touring bike, whilst I know it would be fine for bikepacking, I wonder if it's robust enough for proper touring.
I would like some reassurance before I press the buy button.

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/bikes/sonder-camino-al-sram-apex1-mechanical-V2

Many thanks in advance

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
No idea why those photos are there they are supposed to be thumbnails!

Sharky

Guru
Not convinced by those handlebars? Will they have a comfortable hand position when riding on the hoods?
But otherwise looks good.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you did your Arran tour on a Ali road bike you should know the answer, it’s more of the same with a few variations. For the price it’s not bad, those B.B.5 brakes have come in for a bit of stick on here but that’s the only downside from the specs. They’re a bit confusing as it states BB5 mechanical discs but on the frame pics it says ‘ Well-modulated seatstay mounted hydraulic disk brakes will help to bring you to a halt and reduce the risk of wheel lock when that elk appears out of nowhere’. Seems they don’t know what the ‘elk’ they’re talking about! Those bars are ‘in’ at the moment.
I’d consider going used, there are loads of bikes on eBay, Gumtree etc and you could get a better bike for the same money, maybe something like a CAADX or similar. I’d prefer a steel frame but that’s a personal preference.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My concern would be the big jumps between gears, I recently bought a 1 x 11 & although it's very flat round here I don't like the jumps between gears. I'd hate it even more if I was on tour doing hills & carrying some gear :sad:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yes those handlebars may have to be changed but that's not a big job. Thanks for the reply
Those of us who ride flared drops love them. Especially good off-tarmac.

Top Bottom