Is "Viewranger" any good?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by guitarpete247, 4 May 2010.

1. guitarpete247

guitarpete247 Just about surviving

I've been looking at "Viewranger" for a few months now. I can't decide if it will be any good for me or not. I have a Nokia N86 and have used Nokia maps in the car and "Sports tracker" a few times when cycling or walking. I am worried about battery life over a long walk or ride. Has anyone used this with a similar phone to mine and how good is it?

2. New Horizon

New Horizon Über Member

Its very good indeed. I have it on my Nokia 5800. I have the whole of the UK at 1:50k, which at about £140 I thought was a bargain. I can bluetooth ridden routes straight to my Mac and upload them to ridewithgps.com for playback. Likewise I can plot a route in bikehike and upload it to Viewranger very easily. The program itself is easy to use but has a multitude of options should you wish to dig. The UI is very customisable. I've only used it for rides up to about 60 miles but have had no battery problems - after 4-5 hours the bars are still showing full. Its not a serious training aid like the Garmin but it probably is the best OS/GPS combi on the market - I had a Satmap and that’s stoneage by comparison. The only unsorted bit is a handlebar mounting, but I keep mine in a pocket and refer to it when stuck. Dahon have a very good iPhone waterproof mounting. Support is fantastic - my few queries answered by the developers in minutes and the program is regularly updated foc. Why not register for a free trial?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice