...is worth a bird in the bush.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Fnaar, 18 May 2010.

1. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

My bush needs a trim. :biggrin: Well, the hedges in my garden, really. Didn't get round to doing them early in the season, what with the cold/wet and all that, but now they're a bit unruly, but there's a serious amount of nesting activity going on, and I wouldn't want to disturb the little blighters... can anyone tell me when it might be safe (for the birds' sake) to get the hedge trimmers out? :smile:

2. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

After they've fledged!
    Also after the shrubs have flowered in general.

3. accountantpete

accountantpete Legendary Member

Our Blackbirds are on their second lot know - they can sometimes go for a third if they are not too nackered so it will be July in order to be safe.

If you have some hand-shears then a gentle trim of the green new growth now would be fine as it doesn't disturb them greatly (try not to expose any nest to the sun).

4. Norm

Norm Guest

In general, I wouldn't be doing too much cutting at this time of year anyway. Leave them to go native for a few months. :biggrin:

5. OP
    OP
    Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Thanks folks... gentle hand-trimming it is then. :biggrin:

6. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

If it's a petrol hedge trimmer, Sunday morning nice and early is a good time :biggrin:

7. snakehips

snakehips Well-Known Member

.... or when the neighbours are having a barbie and sending clouds of smoke and the smell of incinerated animal flesh over in your direction.

Snake

My Library

8. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Veteran

A man after my own heart. I'm up at six and the neighbours who were partying until 3.00 a.m. have got to get up some time. :sad:

9. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

I always find that intensive Flymo strimmer use against their fence when they're in the garden entertaining is excellent payback too :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice