Is your car any good for fitting bikes and 'stuff' in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Toyota Corolla Verso here. So far cheap to buy, reliable and cheap to run (it's the 1600cc petrol) I think I get mid to high 30's on the mpg (not looked for a while) but could do better if I drove it gentler I'd imagine.

Not high enough to fit my bike in upright without mucking about with saddle height and as nothing is quick release I don't bother and lay it over. Will do three people and three complete bikes with a little negotiation around sharing the seat with a saddle poking at you (and providing you don't mind playing bike jenga) would happily take them all if we spannered the front wheels off first. Can also take roof bars, tow hitches etc.

Would happily buy another one if this one died.

Venod

Eh up
I have had many different cars & carrying options, roof rack, tow bar mounted rack, by far the best option is when we bought the Citroen Belingo as a second car, its a school bus for the grand kids, its a shopping trolley for the wife, you can remove the rear seats quite easily and probably move house with it, it takes bikes upright without removing the wheels, I am still finding storage spaces after 6 months of use, it was a cheap second hand buy, 1600cc diesel very economical and no slouch, the most practical car we have owned, the only downside, the previous owner must have had a dog or two & we can't get rid of the smell, so its costing a fortune in air fresheners.

Mobytek

If you look at the spec's, then the mondeo comes in with the largest boot volume of all estates, but note necessarily the best dimentions.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks for all the input, although some ideas about what £2k will get are optimistic!

The bike won't go in the Picasso without the saddle off but that's no hassle - the same would be nice. Will look out for Saabs. OH used to havea 900 and loved it.

screenman

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the input, although some ideas about what £2k will get are optimistic!

The bike won't go in the Picasso without the saddle off but that's no hassle - the same would be nice. Will look out for Saabs. OH used to havea 900 and loved it.

Just a thought me being only 5ft 7in may explain why mine went in without dropping the saddle.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
BMW Convertible..... hardly enough room for a scooter :laugh:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Skoda Octavia estate with the 1.4TSI engine. Big big boot, comfortable and can achieve 50mpg on long runs. I reckon 3 bikes would go in with their wheels off and still get 4 people in it.

The other that springs to mind is the Skoda Roomster 1.2TSI. Remove 1 rear seat and I think you might squeeze 3 bikes and 3 people in. 50mpg economy and cheap to run.
We gave a Roomster some serious consideration but we didn't have the budget for one at the time, hence getting the Saab. I still wouldn't turn one down if one happened along in our lives. I wouldn't mind a Yeti either. They are a great drive and will fit bikes and dogs in while towing the caravan.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

tbh if you're tall, I'm six-two, and want to carry bikes upright then, ime, there ain't many cars you can put a 700c, 29er or even a 26" mtb in the back of without removing/dropping the seatpost. My old Kangoo with the rear seats out is the only one I've owned which did. A Multipla will too, iirc, with the bonus of three seats up front.

(EDIT: oh yes and a 2CV with the back seat and front passenger seat out makes a fine single seater mtb transporter.)

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I've had a Multipla. It was ace, but at the same time, never again!

I'd like a Honda FR-V for three seats in front but £2k isn't enough.

ACS

Legendary Member
I have a first generation Ford Kuga. I can get my bike (minus front wheel) in with the rear seats folded flat. The removable boot cover has to come off as well but this is a simple and quick operation.

TeeShot

Veteran
Vauxhall Vivaro Sportive here, seats six with van space in the back.

Last year, our family holiday consisted of 4 adults and NINE bikes and only three of us rode bikes!!!!

Luggage/bikes all went in the back no problem. Can't see me getting a car anytime soon...........

Hi,
I have had estate cars for many years with similar demands for camping, kids and bikes.
To fit your bill for price and needs I would say go for a Peugeot 406/407.
I had a 1999 406 Diesel (if you get a diesel one get the 110bhp not the 90) I ran it for about 6 years and 60,000 miles and it was perfect and never let me down. It got a good 50mpg normal driving and up to 60mpg on a run. Really good to drive and I sold it to a friend who has put a further 20k on it this year.
With the back seat down you can lay one or two bikes flat in them with nothing taken off and they have roof bars to take a rack easily.
Even as diesels they are really cheap to buy and you can get a very good one for £1,000 to £2,000.
Not a car you fall in love with for looks but a really good car to drive and far better than they are given credit for. It was running on its original exhaust at 13 years old and aside from a service had never broken down in that time (it was my father in laws from new).

Top Bottom