Islabikes Beinn 24 Vs BTWIN ROCKRIDER ST 500 24"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
My grandson is due for a new bike and since his current bike is an Islabike Beinn 20 L the natural progression was to get him the Islabike Beinn 24 BUT at £470 I had to think about alternatives.

There are 3 Islabikes amongst our grandchildren and although they are good bikes I feel they are rather expensive... the children have been happy with them and they hold their value very well.

I saw the BTWIN on Internet and I decided to take a closer look at it so at the shop I was presented with a choice of 3 models and I instantly decided that I'd buy one of the two more expensive models at £280 and £160, the difference was disc brakes, shifters, choice of colours and there is a VERY slight weight difference. I decided that grandson wasn't ready for disc brakes and I could see myself trying to sort out touching rotors on a regular basis, besides, the disc brakes they use don't look very forgiving (the pads seem to have a tiny amount of travel) so I purchased the ST 500. At these prices I can get him the other one in 18 months time and still save a few quids.

I'm impressed with the bike, it has the same shifters as his current Islabikes Beinn 20 L and it looks well built, I guess the beinn 24 would be around the same weight or a little lighter.

The components are standard so they are easy to source in case they need replacing which is one of the selling point of Islabike bikes.

For £160 it looks a steal against the equivalent Beinn 24 I think, I paid £360 for the Beinn 20 IIRC..... crazy money for what it is.... with bigger bikes Islabikes don't look so attractive and the competition is out there.

screenman

Legendary Member
Which will hold it's value?

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I think, for smaller bikes, Islabikes.... easily

For 24" wheels and up.... Islabikes' days are numbered.

But think about this, the beinn 20" L was £360, I think I could get £200 for it on ebay and the difference is exactly what I paid for the ST 500 so even if grandson absolutely destroys his new bike I wouldn't be out of pocket ;)

What about a Wiggins Chartres 24?

Will be lighter and a better ride than the equivalent Btwin. I'm erm... undertall... and have tried the Rockrider and didn't particularly like the experience. Admittedly it was a touch too small for me (their smallest ladies' hybrids are too big for me) but still...

I ride a Chartres 26 as my daily do-it-all bike. Didn't buy it new, but love it to bits.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
What about a Wiggins Chartres 24?

Will be lighter and a better ride than the equivalent Btwin. I'm erm... undertall... and have tried the Rockrider and didn't particularly like the experience. Admittedly it was a touch too small for me (their smallest ladies' hybrids are too big for me) but still...

I ride a Chartres 26 as my daily do-it-all bike. Didn't buy it new, but love it to bits.

I don't know it but if you say it's worth considering it then I believe you.... too late for me though.

What you have to remember though, this is a bike for a 9YO child..... I probably wouldn't like the ride either.... my grandson will not go on long rides, more likely rides around the park and occasionally trails.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Islabikes do hold their value that's true, there are always buyers for them, but you're right that they're dear and there is good competition.

Wary of snorts of derision from the CC faithful here, I'll admit that I went for the Carrera Saruna for my daughter, they're 200 quid and a bit of change, Shimano Sora kit, everything works beautifully, properly legit bike and I'm very impressed with it. They seem to go for about 120 used so on average they're depreciating by 100, though that's not a huge factor for me.

Mmmmm, but there's a big difference between being on a bike and enjoying it, and being on a bike and wanting to throw the damn thing in the hedge...

DAMHIKT :blush:

Could be the difference between keeping the lad cycling and him giving it up as a bad job.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Mmmmm, but there's a big difference between being on a bike and enjoying it, and being on a bike and wanting to throw the damn thing in the hedge...

DAMHIKT :blush:

Could be the difference between keeping the lad cycling and him giving it up as a bad job.

Who is that aimed at Reynard?
If it's me, I'm completely in agreement that cheap and nasty can definitely put people off... and how I know it is that my girl tried to learn to ride on an Apollo that weighed more than I do. Not good, it put her off for ages.

If it's me, I'm completely in agreement that cheap and nasty can definitely put people off... and how I know it is that my girl tried to learn to ride on an Apollo that weighed more than I do. Not good, it put her off for ages.

Wasn't aimed at anyone in particular :smile: Just based on my own personal experiences, and not just with bikes.

I've had a play with the Rockrider, and it was like riding the overweight offspring of a pogo stick and a blancmange. The Wiggins that I eventually bought wins hands down on that one. :smile:

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member

I totally agree, that's why my grandchildren have the range of islabikes from 4 to 8 IIRC, they were the lightest bike I could find, the bennin 20 L still is nearly 8kg so for those that don't know these bikes can understand what sort of weight we are talking about. At a guess the ST 500 is about 10kg so not very light but not as heavy as one can buy at 15kg.

In my experience, children, depending on age, look at bikes very differently to adults.... my granddaughter preferred a heavy cheap pink bike that she saw in Halfords to the bargandish Islabikes that I got her but eventually she got used to the bike.... my grandson was more concerned about the tyres than the bike itself, he just wanted fat tyres with knobby thread like a proper adult mountain bike.

Also, just like adults, bike fitting is very important and one has to take the time to make adjustments to the bike from time to time, as they grow.

All I'm saying is that knowing Islabikes quite well, looking after them for the last 4 years, I can say they are good bikes but expensive for what you get.... now I found an alternative that I think it's different but better for us, it will not hold its value as well as the Islabike but I don't care as it will stay in the family.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Why don't you do it the sensible way and sell the 20" Islabike and replace it with a decent secondhand 24" one? If both sizes hold a similar proportion of residual value the amount of money involved in upsizing could be pretty minimal.

Top Bottom