Isle of Tiree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Noticed this on Twitter. A new leaflet has been produced giving advice for single track roads. Cyclists are told to stop as soon as they see a vehicle and get themselves and bike off the road. It does not say you have to doff your hat but proper respect should be shown hopefully not with only two fingers. Tiree has a history of this sort of announcement but they never seem to learn. Perhaps the author of this leaflet does not actually belong to Tiree. Who knows?

Screw them. Who's joining me on a protest ride on Tiree?

Just as soon as the weather improves, mind you.

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Screw them. Who's joining me on a protest ride in Tiree?

Just as soon as the weather improves, mind you.

I half thought of doing a Loganair Bike special on the Island,
I think a hearty Scottish greeting of 'go self propagate' to all who doth protest..
not politically correct, but hey! I'll be in single file:okay:

Noticed this on Twitter. A new leaflet has been produced giving advice for single track roads. Cyclists are told to stop as soon as they see a vehicle and get themselves and bike off the road. It does not say you have to doff your hat but proper respect should be shown hopefully not with only two fingers. Tiree has a history of this sort of announcement but they never seem to learn.Perhaps the author of this leaflet does not actually belong to Tiree. Who knows?
Aye, more than likely:okay:

Update..
One bloke on faceache posted a response. 10 likes..
(Snip tool not working here)

'Borrowed from the Community Council minutes for June 2019'
©Tiree C.C. (note the C.C. bit)
  1. Cycling Issues
  • A letter has been received raising concerns over the ‘Advice to Road Users’ leaflet in circulation. It was noted that this leaflet is not in accordance with the highway code, and is causing confusing and conflicting information for Tiree’s road users, meaning that some potentially dangerous situations have arisen when on the road.
  • It was agreed that this information should no longer be circulated and advice should be taken from the Highway code and other island communities that may experience similar issues. Names redacted..

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had someone try to impose that rule on me by force...! :eek:

There is absolutely no excuse for bad manners. Not using passing places is not only rude, it is also stupid. The only way that those narrow roads work is for everybody to get on. (It isn't just rude cyclists though. I had a psychotic 4x4 driver aim straight at me on Mull. I was way beyond the previous passing place when the vehicle came round a blind bend towards me. There was room for us to pass each other safely if we proceeded slowly but he wasn't interested in that. "Get off my f*****g road!" was what he screamed at me as he forced me into the barrier. Actually getting off the road would pretty much have involved jumping over the barrier onto rocks or into the sea ...! :whistle:)

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had someone try to impose that rule on me by force...! :eek:
Strangely I have only had that happen to me twice on Mull. Once was a tourist in an open top sports car of some kind and the other a 4x4 hunting/shooting/fishing tweedy type who was clearly not normally resident.
Tiree has been indeed discussed before but I thought their attitudes had changed but obviously not so worth a reminder.

Top Bottom