Isle of Wight long weekend tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee-M

I'm starting to prepare gear for a first summer tour with my daughters and to iron out a few creases I thought I might take the girls to the Isle of Wight loaded with tents etc and have a four day tour . Hopefully this is enough time for them to either love or hate it . Too bad if it is the latter but banking on it being the former .

I haven't been to the IofW since 1982 so my memory of hills and terrain is patchy to say the least . On the plus it should be a lot smaller as I understand a good part of it has dropped into the Channel since my last visit. Can anybody give me an idea of how flat/hilly it may be ?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hilly. Very hilly. If you're using the waymarked route the hills are relentless, apart from a blessed bit of relief around the Eastern corner. There are a few IoW randonnée and night ride threads on here to get you going.

The Isle of Wight is basically the South Downs, with the added bonus of being exposed to sea winds. Unless your daughters are hill junkies already you might want to find a flatter bit of country to start with.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Devises to Bristol or vice versa or both? Almost 100% off road and flat. Good camping options, pubs and cafés all the way.

My daughters are now 8 and nearly 16. Our first tour was round the Netherlands which we are doing again this year, maybe including Belgium or Germany.

I have done the IOW a few times and the road out of Shanklin is memorable.

hoopdriver

Guru
I've been to the IOW many times on family holidays, but only once to cycle. I didn't find the hills to be that much of a problem, although it is hilly, but there is a surprising amount of traffic on the roads out there, even the little lanes. Even on weekdays when you would think the roads would be quieter. It is fast moving traffic too, on fairly narrow roads and with more than a hint of aggression mixing with the ozone in the air. I didn't care much for cycling on the IOW, much as I like the island itself.

I have cycled around the island a few time but never found it to be that hilly, nor the backroads to be that busy. Indeed I find it to be quite relaxing. if you go there is ample camping sites but some do try to rip you off, Only two Youth hostels on the island, one being a summer one only, and the Totland one is closed for refurbishment I beleive at this point in time.

Bodhbh

Guru
I did a weekend tour of the IoW a few years back. If I'm honest don't remember much about it - this maybe saying something how interesting I found it - but I don't recall having too much greif with hills. In fact, there seemed to be several of traffic free trails which were perfectly flat.

OP
OP
Lee-M

Lee-M

It was my eldest who mentioned the IofW and having placed a few subtle questions she seems to be under the impression there are Alton Towers type theme parks there . I have since put her right on that with the addition that most of Black Gang Chine is in the Channel . There was a tremble of the bottom lip (from her not me) but at least I have found out her raison d'etre .

Devises to Bristol might be an idea though . I'll look that up .

Top Bottom