isn't she lovely?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my new fixed project

i say project, all it needs to get up and running is some tubs and a front brake. the saddle in the pics is just a spare one i had so i could try it out for size.

i got it via a chap in the club for no money whatsoever, with loads of spare sprockets, chainrings and a chainwhip thrown in.

i just love the sheer elegance of the thing. can't wait to ride it. i'm saving up for the tubs…

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Very nice:thumbsup::smile:

RedBike

alecstilleyedye said:
you're not wrong. it was 13 x 48, it's now 13/15 x 46. i found that the hub was double sided, so i've put the lower gear on the other side and flipped it over.

I will be watching with intrest to see how you get on. I've just (got it this morning) brought a fixed wheel bike.
Its currently got an 18tooth freewheel fitted (48 chainring) but I intend to fit a fixed sprocket to the other side of the hub very soon. All i've got to do is work out what size!

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
RedBike said:
I will be watching with intrest to see how you get on. I've just (got it this morning) brought a fixed wheel bike.
Its currently got an 18tooth freewheel fitted (48 chainring) but I intend to fit a fixed sprocket to the other side of the hub very soon. All i've got to do is work out what size!

hope you enjoy yours too.

this might be useful. some useful advice from a knowledgeable clubmate was to go one gear higher than the equivalent freewheel gear, as the action of the fixed acts like a flywheel.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Been away...honest.....that's one very nice bike that - is that original paint....whooooo....

Free.....for now...it's gonna cost.....it's well lovely..........

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
fossyant said:
Been away...honest.....that's one very nice bike that - is that original paint....whooooo....

Free.....for now...it's gonna cost.....it's well lovely..........

sort of yes and no. it has been repainted, but quite soon after it was new, not recently. it hadn't been ridden for over 40 years 'til last week.

your right about cost. i've split the project into two phases. phase 1 (complete) is getting it back on the road (spare 700c wheels, brake lever and caliper), phase 2 will involve getting proper tubs for the sprint rims, a better saddle, leather bar tape and possibly leather straps for the chater-lea pedals.

GrahamG

Guru
Bloody lovely - if you're thinking of putting it into regular service then there's some parts (wheels, crankset etc.) that might be best 'preserved'. Or just have fun....

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
GrahamG said:
Bloody lovely - if you're thinking of putting it into regular service then there's some parts (wheels, crankset etc.) that might be best 'preserved'. Or just have fun....

indeed, the original wheelset (hb airlite hubs, fiamme rims) was built by reg harris' mechanic and needs tubs, so they will be just used occasionally. it's on the road for current use with a mixture of mavic/alex wheels with one black and one yellow tyre :evil:

i'm stripping the bottom bracket tonight, as i'm sure after 40 years it will need at least new grease. it's obviously so well looked after (and serviced) that i'm hoping that that will be as straightforward as it can be having the right tools, clear instructions but no experience of cup and cone bbs…

Top Bottom