ISO a New Vintage-Styled Commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacMorrighan

Hey guys, does anyone know of an American bike manufacturer/ distributer that offers a vintage-styled commuter that cyclists in Europe seem to have in an embarrassment of riches? I've found it difficult--especially in big box stores and bike shops to find bikes of this sort. In fact, I've asked local bike stores who've told me, "We don't carry anything like that!" Plus, there's the average cost of more than $500-$700 when I actually find such a bike. I'm getting fed up, TBH! Not only do I want the vintage aesthetics (and an internal gear-hub would also be nice), but I desire an upright riding posture that sweptback handle bars will support because it's uncomfortable having my shoulders pitched forward (it puts a lot of strain on my lower back); but also I'm a musician/ singer and maintaining good posture is important! :smile: Anyhow, here are some pix. that illustrate the sort of bike I am looking for (with a top bar). The first two pix are from a bike shop in England.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 3.01.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 3.02.43 PM.png
Roadster_Classic_Gloss_Black_2019_Profile_1200x1200.jpg
7169U-0u8BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Pioneer-Tour-crossbar-Image-2_2048x2048.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 3.00.01 PM.png

gcogger

Might be a bit pricey for you, and not IGH, but there are these:
Electra Loft

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Mac and :welcome: to the forum.

Sorry you’re having such a struggle finding something.
Yes, we have quite a few of these types of bike in the U.K. These bikes are available in the US but not at a price you’re willing to pay. The ones you pictured would be around $1000+ new. What about a beach cruiser? Plenty available and you’d get all you want but not with the skinny tyres. Plus there are a plethora of cheap imported single speed bikes but no gears (like the third bike down).
Alternatively you could source a second hand steel frame vintage bike from Craigs list or a yard sale and maybe swap out the bars.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
…..and the lady in the pink baggies is going to have them chewed to bits on that open chain if she managed to get more than a few yards down the road.
As for the refugee from the Flake ad she might have a slit up the side we can’t see.

Maybe @Gravity Aided could offer some advice.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Yes, definitely a slit up the side.
In all seriousness, though, we made several of this sort of bicycle back in the day. I would say the used market would be a good source, but the US really made few good bicycles on its own shores before Trek. A lot of the decent sort of this bicycle that were offered back then were made in Great Britain by Raleigh, Phillips, and Hercules, or Germany by Wanderer and some other makers.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Rivendell, but very spendy.

https://www.rivbike.com/

Velo Orange. Again quite pricey.

https://velo-orange.com/

Top Bottom