Issue with rear mudguard fitting. Need smaller stay screw..advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I recently purchased a set of full cover mudguards from Halfrauds.
I fitted the front one without issue but when fitting the back one just now, connecting the stays to the 'usual' screw holes meant it rubbed on the tyre.
if I could connect the stays to the lower down, but smaller stay holes, it would fit just fine.
So my question is this, which size Allen bolts do I need that will fit the smaller stay holes?

Pics provided to explain what I am banging on about.
Apologies for picture. Take on a £45 smart phone!
IMG_20171007_165027.jpg

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
I have never seen mudguard eyes like that. I would go back to Halfords and ask their advice.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Can't you adjust the stay length at the guard end?

Alternatively, fit secuclips. They're not really needed on the rear guard because a crumpling guard will result in a skid rather than a header, but it'll effectively lengthen the stay by an inch or so.

If you really need to use the other hole and it's threaded and not a drain or optional cable exit, measure its diameter and look up which M number bolt is closest. I think M5s are common but not universal.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Can’t help with your prob but that’s not a bad pic from £45 Smartphone.

...except for the picture coming out upside down.

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Can't you adjust the stay length at the guard end?

Alternatively, fit secuclips. They're not really needed on the rear guard because a crumpling guard will result in a skid rather than a header, but it'll effectively lengthen the stay by an inch or so.

If you really need to use the other hole and it's threaded and not a drain or optional cable exit, measure its diameter and look up which M number bolt is closest. I think M5s are common but not universal.

Thanks mjr, this was the solution I was looking for.
Bought 2 for £2.45 delivered.
Cheers.

Don't expect the guards to last long. My front one which is 6 months old cracked inside where the stays connect to the plastic. I had to remove it as it constantly rubbed the wheel.

Top Bottom