Issues with one side of V brakes not springing back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeJD

Hi all,

I've got an issue with my V brakes that's kept my bike off the road for a while now, I thought as a last measure before heading to the repair shop I'd post my problem up here and seek some assistance.

Here's a video of the problem: https://streamable.com/x7tmo

In brief one side of my front V brake doesn't return as it should do. I've taken the brake apart (removed them from the frame), but still when reassembled the problem persists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PpPete

Legendary Member
Unhook the cable and check that arm pivots freely.
If no, the mounting pivot needs greasing.
If yes, reconnect the cable and look for the small adjusting screw on each arm - usually one of those hybrid heads that takes either a flat head or a Philips cross-head.
Wind that in (clockwise) on the side that is not springing back.
Go half a turn at a time until the spring back one each side is balanced.
Still no worky? - Possibly cable replacement may help.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Unhook the cable and check that arm pivots freely.
If no, the mounting pivot needs greasing.
If yes, reconnect the cable and look for the small adjusting screw on each arm - usually one of those hybrid heads that takes either a flat head or a Philips cross-head.
Wind that in (clockwise) on the side that is not springing back.
Go half a turn at a time until the spring back one each side is balanced.
Still no worky? - Possibly cable replacement may help.

What would be appropriate to use to grease the mounting pivot?

I probably should of mentioned, I've tried the above to no prevail. When the cable is unhooked the arm springs back as expected, and turning the adjustment screw does nothing to stop the 'sticking'.

I'll go through those steps again, and if there's still no change I'll have to look into replacing the cable.

Thanks

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

I probably should of mentioned, I've tried the above to no prevail. When the cable is unhooked the arm springs back as expected, and turning the adjustment screw does nothing to stop the 'sticking'.

I'll go through those steps again, and if there's still no change I'll have to look into replacing the cable.

Thanks

Everything you need to know is covered here:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html

C R

Guru
I use copaslip on the V-brake pivots.

As for tightening the screw on the 'sticky' side you can loosen the one on the other arm too.

This, I had a similar problem, and the reason turned out to be that the adjusting screw in the other side was too far in, and not letting the other arm going back.

Ajax Bay

Guru
In addition to the adjusting screw advice (and possibly renewed cable) above, also there are (maybe) three holes behind the braze on which the end of the spring goes into. Normally set up in the middle one. Engage the spring end in the hole that will give greater spring effect (on the side you want) or a lesser spring effect on the side you want to 'give' a bit.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Thanks for the help guys, I re-tried the steps mentioned above and after initially thinking it was fixed, I pressed the brake hard and the problem reoccured.

I'm gonna stump up the cash and pay for a brake service at Halfords (includes replacement cables). Hopefully that'll get everything back in working order and allow me to get out on the road.

Thanks again.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Grease.
a brake service at Halfords (includes replacement cables)
If you have a local bike shop (LBS) I suggest you go there. The brake cables will not need replacing (from what you've said).

C R

Guru
Thanks for the help guys, I re-tried the steps mentioned above and after initially thinking it was fixed, I pressed the brake hard and the problem reoccured.

I'm gonna stump up the cash and pay for a brake service at Halfords (includes replacement cables). Hopefully that'll get everything back in working order and allow me to get out on the road.

Thanks again.

One thing to keep in mind when adjusting the set screws is that the effect of the adjustment is not necessarily apparent until you press the lever. So the process normally is you adjust the screw a bit, press the lever hard and release, and see where then arms are, then readjust and repeat the lever press as needed, until you get the two arms symmetric around the rim.

ETA, you may also have a sticky liner in the noodle, that happened to me recently.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Thanks again.
Is there a ridge on the pad ?

Serge

Über Member
One thing to keep in mind when adjusting the set screws is that the effect of the adjustment is not necessarily apparent until you press the lever. So the process normally is you adjust the screw a bit, press the lever hard and release, and see where then arms are, then readjust and repeat the lever press as needed, until you get the two arms symmetric around the rim.

ETA, you may also have a sticky liner in the noodle, that happened to me recently.
As a chef, I have to agree: sticky noodles can be a problem.

Reactions: C R

Kernowdreamer

Check the brake pad has worn evenly. if it was not straight or overhung the inner edge of the rim the pad can form a shelf of unworn material that gets trapped under the rim and stops the arm from returning.
Also if your brake arm adjusters are held in a plastic carrier the adjuster screw can damage the thread hole in the plastic and turning the screw has little or no effect. A replacement brake is the only alternative.

Last edited:
Top Bottom