IT Band injury cycling over black ice

OrnellaHG

Hello,

Today I took it very slow knowing it had been cold overnight, but still whilst going round a tiny bend over black ice my bike slipped from under me and I fell all of my weight and the bike on my left thigh - thankfully catching the rest of myself with my left hand.

I have iced it twice and had a bath with some Epsom salts and smothered it in arnica. Yet I can feel my IT band is incredibly tight and painful. No visible bruising yet, this happened 8 hours ago. Any recommendations for a speedy recovery?

Just rest? Or ice and rest? Or ice and roll the muscle out? Or live in a bath of Epsom salts? etc

Any help is vey much appreciated, thank you!

Sharky

Veteran
Had to look up what an IT band was. But I didn't have to look up what falling on black ice means. Try and get it x rayed. In my case an x ray didnt detect anything, then a ct scan two months later revealed a fractured pelvis.

Hope in your case pain soon dissappears.

Last edited:

YukonBoy

The Monch
:cursing::stop::stop:
Hello,

Today I took it very slow knowing it had been cold overnight, but still whilst going round a tiny bend over black ice my bike slipped from under me and I fell all of my weight and the bike on my left thigh - thankfully catching the rest of myself with my left hand.

I have iced it twice and had a bath with some Epsom salts and smothered it in arnica. Yet I can feel my IT band is incredibly tight and painful. No visible bruising yet, this happened 8 hours ago. Any recommendations for a speedy recovery?

Just rest? Or ice and rest? Or ice and roll the muscle out? Or live in a bath of Epsom salts? etc

Any help is vey much appreciated, thank you!
Haven't you already "iced" it?

DCBassman

Veteran
:welcome: and get well soon

kapelmuur

Über Member
I had a similar accident in November '17 (on crutches for 5 weeks) and still don't have full flexibility in the joint.

I thought I'd broken my hip as I couldn't put weight on my leg and the pain was severe, however the para medic assured me that there was no break - he said a broken hip would hurt a lot more!

The advice to have it X-rayed is sensible and I'd also recommend a visit to a sports physio who will give you exercises to assist rehab.

PS I never saw any external bruising even thought the injury was bad.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's still painful in a couple of days go to Urgent Care and ask for a check up. It's next to A&E at our local hospital.

Top Bottom