It could only happen to me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coco

We have a winner!

I like this wee story:
Another of those names designed to separate the locals from the travellers! Pronounced, would you believe, "Mill-guy" (with the accent on the second syllable) Listen to many locals, though, and it might sound more like "Mull-guy". It is often said that the name derives from "Gavin's Mill" but another possibility is that it comes from the Gaelic "muileann gaoithe" meaning windmill. There is an apochryphal story of an American couple passing through Milngavie who became aware that it had a pronunciation to confuse most tourists. So they thought they'd ask a local. When having lunch they asked the waitress: "Can you tell us how you pronounce the name of this place and say it slowly so that we can pick it up". The obliging lass said, slowly and clearly "B-u-r-g-e-r K-i-n-g".

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HJ said:
Didn't you use your usual line about reading Cyclecraft?

:eek: Actually I did mention Cyclecraft! ;)

Thing is, magna, you're famous, and were famous before even the council man flagged you down. Does he know about your Youtube 'presence'?

The nearest I got to an experience like yours, a couple of years ago, was almost the reverse. I was surveying - and photographing - the newly-created - er - 'infarstructure' on The Drive in Hove - we had a thread running in another forum. A setup which is an utter scream with segregated lanes running along the nearside of parked cars. Anyway, as I was doing the camera bit, up shuffles a Little Old Lady to her garden gate: "Are you from the Council, Dear?" I had to admit I was not. She said "Well I wish they'd dig up these here new cycle lanes they're an utter disgrace: not safe to cross the road any more..." etc. etc. As I continued on my way I muttered a few words of sympathy explaining, I don't care for them much myself, either...

magnatom said:
Coming down from Milngavie (bet you'll pronounce this wrong!)
You watch your step, wee Scots laddie! We'll have you mispronouncing Zaaassex placenames like "Ansty" and "Steyning", before you can say "Selmeston"...

OP
OP
M

magnatom

661-Pete said:
Thing is, magna, you're famous, and were famous before even the council man flagged you down. Does he know about your Youtube 'presence'?

Aye right! Infamous amoung a small group of cyclists and drivers, nothing more. He definitely didn't know who I was until I told hime. Poor soul probably regretted pulling me over! :eek:

thomas

the tank engine
magnatom said:
Aye right! Infamous amoung a small group of cyclists and drivers, nothing more. He definitely didn't know who I was until I told hime. Poor soul probably regretted pulling me over! ;)

Did you give him your autograph :eek:

joebingo

Über Member
magnatom said:
I used to think like that, and in general still do, but I can see how, the odd WELL DESIGNED cycle lane in the right place could encourage more newbie cyclists on the roads. Safety in numbers.....

I call those bus lanes. Brilliant design for cyclists, My rule would be that if a road isn't big enough for a bus lane then it's not big enough for a cycle lane either.

Good news about the guy stopping to find out your reasoning and great that something could be done about it!

Looking forward to the vid, hehe :biggrin:

Top Bottom