IT Geeks! Laptop slowing broadband

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm on Windows 8.1 and this is what I do to find what's hogging the network:
Right-click on the task bar or Ctrl-Alt-Del then choose Task Manager.
At the bottom of the Performance tab click "Open Resource Monitor".
In Resource Monitor click the Network tab and look at "Processes with Network Activity" (the top pane of three). You should see if something is hogging the network in there.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
If only one could talk to a broadband provider rather than their useless car centre staff.

Ah, it's probably not their fault either. It's all scripted. Think Ron Burgandy

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGtGwkMSyWU

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Try running the laptop in safe mode with network, which will limit the amount of stuff running.

It's possible to have malware running on your computer that turns it into a slave & runs other people's nasty services for them. It might be possible to see this by running Wireshark, but that isn't trivial

Just a thought, do you have a bitTorrent application?

Rezillo

TwoSheds
What's it like with the PSU disconnected? (and switched off at the mains).

Our neighbour's monitor had a failing PSU and was generating huge amounts of REIN which knocked back not only our broadband to 0.5mb but that of the entire village, which was further away from the exchange than him. It was tracked down by an Openreach engineer with a radio. Apparently Sky boxes are also a common culprit.

The engineer was happy to get a result. He said he got a lot of grief from people convinced their equipment was fine, because there's usually no other clue to anything being wrong, and the only way of proving a problem was to ask people to turn off the mains at the switchbox and see if the noise stopped.

Last edited:

andyfraser

Über Member
That reminds me, we need to replace our microwave. It knocks out all our devices connected to WiFi on the 2.4GHz band, luckily only my old laptop now. God know what the neighbours think though!

One thing you can rule out is the broadband / wifi. It is also unlikely to be Malware as they tend to do things in spurts and go quiet. And it will show in the CPU usage.

Did you install a new device or change any settings recently as it likely to be a conflict. Take your laptop to one of those cafe with free wifi and give it a go.

midlife

Guru
Number one son installed net limiter on our broadband hogging laptop. Not sure if it worked as he waltzed off to uni to study computing lol

Shaun

midlife

Guru
Number one son installed net limiter on our broadband hogging laptop. Not sure if it worked as he waltzed off to uni to study computing lol

Shaun

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
That reminds me, we need to replace our microwave. It knocks out all our devices connected to WiFi on the 2.4GHz band, luckily only my old laptop now. God know what the neighbours think though!

Quick & simple way to test your microwave, turn it off, put mobile in and close the door, ring mobile. If the mobile rings you've a problem.

If it's putting out that sort of signal it could be dangerous.

andyfraser

Über Member
Quick & simple way to test your microwave, turn it off, put mobile in and close the door, ring mobile. If the mobile rings you've a problem.

If it's putting out that sort of signal it could be dangerous.
Yeah, we have a problem. It's getting replaced next weekend I've been informed. Luckily we don't use it much, mostly for my porridge in the morning.

Top Bottom