It had to happen sometime...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manguish

I ride alone normally, but found a young lad interested in riding, looking to buy a road bike to replace his mountain bike.

He'd bent his rear skewer and hub was broken, so I lent him the rear wheel of my mountain bike.

Off we went. 3 mile later, puncture in the rear.

Snapped a tire lever. Fixed the puncture, inflated the tyre. Sweet.

Went to disconnect the pump from the valve, the valve burst.

Fortunately we were about 300 yards from lbs, so he sorted the wheel, New rim tape, New tube and all was well.

Went to zip my 2XU jacket, zip bust. FFS!

Things come in threes alright!

Hopefully that's my bad luck gone for the summer....

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
sounds like you had all of ours bad luck in 1 go so well done

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Just be careful where you step! :eek:
superstition.png

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The bit that gets me was when you said that you lent him your rear wheel. So what did you ride on? Just the front wheel? Do you carry spare wheels with you?

I bet you put the lad off getting a road bike with all your mishaps. Either that or when he see's you next time, he will turn around and run away. I know I would if you have that much bad luck.

OP
OP
Manguish

Manguish

The bit that gets me was when you said that you lent him your rear wheel. So what did you ride on? Just the front wheel? Do you carry spare wheels with you?

I bet you put the lad off getting a road bike with all your mishaps. Either that or when he see's you next time, he will turn around and run away. I know I would if you have that much bad luck.

I was on my supersix, he was on his mtb.

The wheel I lent him was off my mtb. But because I was on my road bike, I only had 700 inner tubes, not mtb ones.

He's even more keen to get a road bike now after he's seen how much easier/faster they are to ride on road.

One of those days unfortunately. shoot happens ;)

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I was on my supersix, he was on his mtb.

The wheel I lent him was off my mtb. But because I was on my road bike, I only had 700 inner tubes, not mtb ones.

He's even more keen to get a road bike now after he's seen how much easier/faster they are to ride on road.

One of those days unfortunately. s*** happens ;)

That has confused me even more.
You were on your road bike and had a MTB wheel on it? You were carrying a MTB wheel? It was close to your house where you could get your MTB wheel?
I might be an idiot at times but I still dont understand how a MTB wheel can materialise from a road bike with 700c rims on it.

OP
OP
Manguish

Manguish

Lol, no. We set off from my house, but he had a bent skewer on his.

My MTB sitting forlorn in the garage, we decided to swap wheels before leaving.

I'd Be some sight carrying spare wheels!

I ride alone normally, but found a young lad interested in riding, looking to buy a road bike to replace his mountain bike.

He'd bent his rear skewer and hub was broken, so I lent him the rear wheel of my mountain bike.

Off we went. 3 mile later, puncture in the rear.

Snapped a tire lever. Fixed the puncture, inflated the tyre. Sweet.

Went to disconnect the pump from the valve, the valve burst.

Fortunately we were about 300 yards from lbs, so he sorted the wheel, New rim tape, New tube and all was well.

Went to zip my 2XU jacket, zip bust. FFS!

Things come in threes alright!

Hopefully that's my bad luck gone for the summer....

I would start playing the lottery, your lucks due to change anytime now.

Top Bottom